Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Stim ..... bone growth stimulater

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have to wear this thing for 4 hours a day due to one of my bone grafts not taking ..... but what I want to know is... am I suppose to hear a ticking noise the whole time I am wearing it .... kinda sounds like a uranium gigocounter and am I suppose to get headaches and motions sickness from it... after wearing it for just 1 hours I feel as if I am going to throw up and I have a major headache. Is this normal?

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hey paulieee,
    I had a bone growth stimulator I believe was called a Spinal Pack II. Two electrode pads stuck on either side of my neck connected to a battery pack. Wore it almost constantly for the first few months and after 3 months I was done with it. Could never hear or feel anything from it so I did not have any
    problems with it. It made you wonder if it really worked but the CT scan showed I did fuse at all three levels.
    Sorry if I was not of any help to you, take care.
  • Hi Paulie,
    I just finished wearing the bone growth stimulator. Mine was a new one so it just hung around my neck and YES, you hear the ticking lol. I also noticed if i was on my cell phone, i could hear a tick tick or static through the phone, so I guess it affected the phone as well. Good luck with it. My fusion still didnt take after wearing the thing for 6 months. I am scheduled for a revision surgery now and wondering why we arent given the BGS immediately following surgery. I am going to wear mine after this surgery since I already have it and the surgeon says its a good idea. I didnt get any motion sickness from it. HAve you been put on new meds? I was told it was electromagnetic and I really had no issues at all besides the annoying tick. I did notice the tick was way worse when laying down so I tried to do my 4 hours first thing in the morning. Keep me updated on how it works for you please.

• Hi paulieee: I'm currently using the BGS; had surgery on 18 June 09. I had discectomies at c5-6 and c6-7 plus a corpectomy. It's too soon for me to know if it's helped my fusion, but at my 1 month check last week all was looking good on a regular x-ray. I do hear the annoying ticking you mention; the ticking gets worse when I'm on the phone or listening to my TV via headphones and a remote listening device. I have not had the headaches or motion sickness (nausea), but those are listed in my patient manual that came with the device as possible adverse affects. If you haven't already, you should give your surgeon a call to just check to make sure nothing else is going on (like possibly new medication side effects as cj062373 mentioned). I return to work next Monday (27 July 09) so it will be interesting to see how much wearing my BGS will interfere with my work (I have an office job working in graduate medical education so no heavy lifting). I was in a hard neck brace 24/7 until this week and, since I couldn't sleep normally, I got in the habit of putting on the BGS if I woke up through the night so that by morning I was usually finished with my daily treatment. Now that I'm back to sleeping normally, I can't wear it and so I do what cj062373 does with putting it on first thing in the morning to get it over with.

Sorry for the late reply, I Googled Orthofix and just came across this website.

Best wishes to you and cj062373 for your future good health!
  • What can I tell you, it ticks and is a pain but I want to do what doctor says. This is a challenge for me.

I usually never listen to doctors. I am trying this time.

• I had one wore it 4 hours for 6 months as well and ended with psuedoarthrosis(sp). That is not typical to that though. The ticking you hear is normal and like everyone else it did interfere with my phones as well. The dizziness that you are feeling is more likely a motion thing. Believe it or not since they work off magnets they are moving your neck to the smallest degree. When i had surgery for a stablization issue doc said no to the stimulator, as they wanted no movement in the area what so ever. Not sure how long you been using it, but give it sometime and hopefully the side effects will wear off, at least mine did. I as you thought it was meds and surgeon confirmed was not the meds but the device itself. I was eventually able to return to work and wore it while i worked as a sales rep on the road. Like to call it my jaba the hut necklace, well some others had more fun with it than that, but I haven't been on a stage ever in my life. Anyway I hope it gets better for you, hang in there and remember when in doubt call the surgeon. Take care.
  • I just got my BGS and I don't hear any ticking. Then again, mine hangs around my waist to assist L5/S1 growth. I read about patients wearing it 4 hours a day and it makes me curious. I'm to wear mine 24/7 except for bathing or swimming. I wonder why the difference? Any ideas?

• Rusty,
    I would assume you are wearing yours for a lumbar issue, where as the rest are wearing it for the cervical. So they are two different products and being the bone in the lumbar region is much larger will make a difference. The surgeon tells the manufacture the spec's at which they want those set at. Each unit is programmed differently. I don't suspect anyone with cervical issues has worn it for that long. Just a different beast when it comes to the cervical spine.
  • Hi Rusty, I agree with tamtam, different use for lumbar issues. I think we hear the ticking because the stimulator hangs around the neck right under the ears so the proximity is probably why we hear the ticking and you don't. Count your blessings, it's the only thing that really bugs me about having to wear it. I've gone back to work and the ticking is amplified (in my case) when I'm talking on the phone, or listening to anything through headphones. Otherwise, it really isn't an inconvenience at all. Good luck to you - hope it helps you heal well!
  • My experience with a BGS was a bit different. I wore the spinalogic brand, and I only had to lean against it with it behind my neck for 30 minutes a day. It actually had an internal clock and ONLY works 30 minutes in a 24 hour period. No noise or motion sickness with mine. Just leaned back and watched the news or a sitcom, and after the 1/2 hour I set it aside until the next night. It didn't work for me though. I started it about 9 months post op when we discovered my fusion wasn't "fusing" but I think it was too late by then. It had a price tag of over $5,000 and then became disposable once I was finished with it. I'll never understand why they aren't re-programmable, but the brand I used had 280 days worth of usage, and day one started when you first turned it on. Even if I skipped a day, the clock kept on ticking. For $5K you'd think they would figure out how to put in a new chip and use it again. but I actually had quite the party destroying mine when I was finished because I was mad that it didn't work and I ended up with surgery again. ha ha. It was the most fun I had for months. Geez, I need to get a life!
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!