Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Successful L5/S1 Fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Having back surgery can be incredibly scary so I wanted to share my success story. In October 2008 I experienced incredibly painful sciatic pain for the first time in my life. By December the pain was so bad I was crawling around my house as walking made the pain worse. By mid-December I was diagnosed with L5/SI Isthmic Spondylolisthesis and had an L5 pinched nerve. Three days later I had an anterior/posterior lumbar fusion, including an anterior endoskeleton cage and 4 pedicle screws. My neurosurgeon, Dr. David Dewitt from the NeuroSpine Center in Appleton, assured me that I would feel better almost immediately post-op. As absurd as that sounded, he was absolutely right! I spent one night in the hospital, took 3 weeks off of work, and returned to a nearly normal life. I completed about 6 physical therapy sessions in February-March 2009 and continue to improve weekly. While I am not completely back to "normal" yet, I feel great! I'm 6 months post-op and my only complaints are difficulty sleeping on my back and occasional back spasms and stiffness. I'm anticipating that I should feel like my normal self by the end of summer. At 37 I never would have guessed I would have back surgery. I am extremely thankful to Dr. DeWitt for his surgical talents and great patient care.

• Thanks for sharing your story, its great to hear a successful one. Im delighted for you. at 26 and 2 lumbar surgeries under my belt i had yet to hear a successful story, thanks for sharing and boosting my spirits, its comforting to know some1 can have major surgery and be doing so well
  • I am scheduled for the same surgery on Mon/Tues unless I back out and go the Artificial disc way. It makes me feel a little less afraid of submitting to the metal and screws. I usually think about my uncle who had it in 1972 and recovered nicely.

Thanks for another positive story!! It helps me with the high anxiety I am feeling. My L5 has me bedridden now and the loose Dynesys system feels like a wooden chair leg in my back. My doc said the same thing that I would feel relief right after the surgery! Thanks again for your post!