Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is anyone experiencing this problem?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello, Im new to this site and I injured my back deadlifting about a week ago and am awaiting an MRI on money to find out whether this is a disk problem or not. For the past week ive felt stiffness in my back and pain/tinging around my entire body; hands, feet, legs, chest, neck, etc. Now this is been nagging but it has not bothered me to the point where I was unable to sleep.

Well, now since yesterday it everytime I have layed down and fall asleep i end up waking up and notice that my heart is beating faster than usual. At first I felt like it wasnt a big deal but then I realized ive been having this problem all week. This rapid heart beat also has seemed to happen whenever i take a shower and let hot water run down my back for a certain amount of time or if I take a bath and lie there for a certain number of time my heart will beat fast and i will sweat a little.

I have never had the problem of chest pain or rapid heart beating during random situations such as lying down to sleep or letting hot water run down my back until I possibly herniated/slipped a disk in my back since last saturday. So Im wondering, has anyone else experienced the problem of rapid heart beat/chest pain due to a back injury which involves nerve pain throughout the body and is there anything I can do in the meantime? thankyou.

• I can't say that I've experienced the same thing you are, but it is concerning to say the least. Have you even been able to see a doc yet? Are you possibly taking over the counter pain killers more frequently than you would normally? There are so many possibilities that this could be related to. Have you taken an account of everything you do differently since you hurt yourself?

Bottom line though, only a doc is going to be able to check and see what is going on.

I hope you find some answers soon. I didn't want your post to go answered and get lost in the shuffle.

Welcome to Spine Health.

• Yes, Ive seen the doctor. he gave me sum medicine. Vicodin etc for the pain and is referring me to an MRI for Monday. The thing is I wasnt experiencing this pain before my back injury so thats why im pretty sure the chest pain and other pain in my body is a result of the injury I sustained. and after searching about it on the internet I did learn that back injuries such as a pinched nerve can cause rapid heart beat, chest pain, etc along with pain in other areas of the body... but I guess it depends on the individual..
  • Some of this can also be a possible side effect of vicodin. If you look up the possible side effects, it quite clearly shows issues like you are describing.

Stay in contact with your doc. Of course if things get worse, don't hesitate to go to the ER. Chest pains and irregular heartbeat are not things to take lightly. Sure they could be related to a back problem, but they can also be totally unrelated and coincidental or brought on by the stress of the injury.

Please keep an eye on things.

• Yeh, Im thinking it is from the first medicine I took Naproxen... that and my back injury prob is bringing irritation to my chest, as well as other parts of my body. Im going to explain to the doctor when I get the mri about this problem and see what they have to say. Thanks for the advice.
  • While you should always get this checked out because it could be serious, it could also come from pain. Sometimes, my pain builds and I suddenly realize I'm barely breathing (holding my breath) and my heart is beating fast. It could also be due to the medicine, but you can figure that out by being aware when you take it and for about an hour or so after. A lot of strange things can happen to your body when you're injured and/or in severe pain. You can ask someone to keep an eye on you to make sure you're ok; it sometimes helps to know someone could get you help if you need it. Good luck with your MRI on Monday!!!!!!!!!!!! Please let us know how it goes!

Much love and understanding,
  • you're right about naproxen. here's link to side effects. they give all kinds of warnings on the heart side effects. are you still on it?
    best of luck....pete
  • I learned recently that I am alergic to the codine they have in vicodin...maybe just the generic ones but i think its in it either way. And all the symptoms you noted are what the reaction felt like.
    i hate vicodin, never helped with my pain and always make my body freak.
    best of luck
This discussion has been closed.