Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Getting Nervous Surgery 6/17

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi All,

I was just wanting to post today, I am starting to get a little freaked out about my upcoming surgery. I am doing a 360 w/ decompression & hardware on WED. I was told he will be only going through my back, so this is probable a good thing. I'm not going to have to deal with being cut through the front.

I was starting to get a little freaked out wondering if this is the right thing to do. I am not looking forward to being in pain and not being able to move around, I think the bending is going to be the hardest thing. I have a 3yr old & a 18mo old. They love hugs! This just feels a lot different than when I went in and had my total knee done. I am worried about what to expect, I know it is better to do it in the summer, so that I can get out and walk when I am ready.

I just don't know if I am ready for all the pain and I guess the unknown. I was looking forward to doing things with the kids this summer. But I guess as long as it works like it is expected to, I might not lose my whole summer.....

Well I'm going on & on I can use any input about what to expect just after, and the weeks to come. I will post again after WED and we will see how it is going.

Thanks all for being here for us newbies......LOL

• Deb,

I know it is easier said than done, but try to relax before your surgery. At this point you probably have done all your home work, so there is no need to worry yourself. Just think that if it works, your life will be easier. As far as bending down to hug your little one, maybe somebody can lift them up to you. Or they could climb up on your lap, once they are there, you can do all the hugging you want. Try to have a positive attitude and you'll see that it will be over before you realize it and you will be on the road to recovery.

Wishing you all the best,

• is normal. Hang in there. I felt that nervous before my surgeryI will be praying for you. Let us know how your surgery goes.
  • Try to enjoy the last couple days with your kids and it will take your mind off of surgery. I had my first grandchild in July and had my fusion in Dec. It was really hard, but when they can crawl up to you and people help the little ones on your lap and to lay by you it will be ok. Good Luck on Weds. I will be thinking of you. And dont worry about the pain, they will take good care of you and help to keep you comfortable. Let us know how you are doig, when you are up to it.
  • I would say you're doing the right thing. The kids will still be able to get their hugs, they just need to realize they will need to be very gentle hugs. Life is too short to live in so much pain. Get your surgery and follow doctor's orders -- do your best at recovery and life will be so much better once again. I felt as though I had been nailed to a board for a long time, but I'm beginning to learn to move in the correct ways now and am a lot more flexible than I thought I would be. It will be okay. You would not be normal if you weren't a little bit nervous. Hang in there.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.

• Thanks for all the nice posts, I am trying to get the house ready, and I know with God and some human help I can do this. I'm just not looking forward to it. I am freaking myself out and like you said I just need to put my mind on my kids and enjoy them while I can still move around.and remember why I am doing it.

I will let you all know how it went as soon as I can.

Thanks again for the support,
  • Deb, I have a 360 fusion from the front and back on 2-24, that's almost 4 months and I have gotten much better this last month. You'll get through it and you'll get better. I'll think about you tomorrow, I imagine you'll be busy today with last minute things to take care of around the house. Hang in there!
  • Your feelings are normal. O:) I had anxiety and fear prior to my going into the operating room - but I trusted my doctor and the staff to take care of me. I had to in order to get better.
    Don't worry too much about the future as it isn't here yet. I read somewhere fear is F - false; E - emotions; A - appearing; R - real. It helps me. Let us know how you do!! :)))

• Hi all,

Thanks for the last minute pep talks I needed that. I am getting the house together and will be getting dinner ready for the kids. I am going in at 7 surgery @ 8am. I do trust my DR & the surgery staff I have had surgery there before and they are all so nice there. That don't help the butterflies in my stomach today.....LOL!

I will let you all know how I am doing as soon as I am not out of it and can get back on my laptop.

Again thanks for the thoughts & Prayers, it is great knowing I have others out there to talk to about this.

Talk to ya later,