Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve symptoms questions

allicat623aallicat623 Posts: 45
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:32 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello,

I have a question about nerve pain/symptoms.

My main problem is my left arm down to my pinky. All I can do is compare the inside of my arm to guitar strings that have been pulled so tight ..... It burns so much!! My grip isn't strong and I'm weak.

It's also like that on my right arm, but not as strong...clearly the left arm is worse than the right.

It has gotten worse over the past few days....

This is more than just numbness and tingling... it's gone past that.

Anyone else have symptoms like this and is it indicative of spinal cord problems? I'm so frightened that while i'm waiting for the MRI (6/17) and follow-up doctor visit to discuss results (6/23) that things are getting worse!

Typing hurts a lot, so sorry for the run ons!!
advertisement

Comments

• real sorry about your arms. it's so tough to have to wait for your test date.
    i too had pain like yours. when i get it i try to rest my neck and put ice on hands. it's usually worse at night.
    i sure hope this pain subsides for you. Does lying on rug with rolled up towel under neck help.
    Thinking of you feeling better
    pete
  • Sounds similar to mine except mine began in my thumb and forefinger on the left progressing from shoulder tightness. My joints hurt too, but not on my right side.
  • Hiya >:D< Well its definatley nerve pain :? , but as for where its coming from you will have to wait for your test results :W , but hey keep us posted :) , will be interested to know where its coming from and or what it is :? !

Angie >:D< :H
  • The thing to watch out that you don't do, is get yourself so upset and nervous that you build stress in your neck and shoulders. That can act as a catalyst to make it appear as if things have gotten worse when many times they haven't. Tight muscles can compress nerves and make us feel as if we are falling apart faster than we actually are. The 17th is just around the corner and although it may seem like a long time from now, in terms of getting an MRI, that actually quite speedy. Many people wait months.

Hang in there, it will be here before you know it.

"C"
  • Thank you everyone for your comments and shared stories...

This morning I woke up and the pain is not as bad.... Over the past few days, it was continually getting worse and I thought it would continue to do so. I need to realize it will fluctuate...

C - You are very right. I realize in looking at many stories on these forums that I am blessed to have an MRI so soon. I did call my doctor's office to see if I could move up my follow-up neuro appointment with to the end of this week....but they were in the process of unpacking from a weekend of painting and laying new carpet. So I will try again later.

In my mind I'm going to need surgery. In 2003 my last MRI said I had DDD at C5-6 and C6-7, central cervical spinal stenosis and lateral recess impingements. "The sagittal diameter of the central cervical spinal canal is moderately compromised at C5-6 measuring 5.9 mm versus 8.0mm at C6-7 and 9.1 mmat C7-T1l." At that time, a NS recommended surgery, but my main symptom was fatigue and general soreness in arms, shoulders, neck. I didn't have major pain.....so didn't have surgery.

I've read here that some times herniated discs heal themselves. But can spinal stenosis "heal itself", i.e. can a narrow diameter get wider???

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Allison
  • from experience i can tell you stenosis doesn't get better on it's own. the old drill and saw are needed to trim away the hard matter that's pressing in.
    I'm so happy for you that pain isn't as bad. Keep resting your neck and you won't put added pressure on it.
    thinking of you
    pete
  • Pete,

I pulled out my contour pillow yesterday and slept on it last night on my back. I remembered that when I last had PT they would lie me on my back, yet lift my neck up some to alleviate pressure.

Same theory as the towel you mentioned.

Thanks again for the thoughts!!
  • hope sleeping on back helped. i notice with my neck that sleeping on my side puts more pressure on the nerves and i wake up with those "guitar strings" pulling like mad. when i'm on back it's not bad. nothing like rest to calm that neck down.
    i get a lot of pain and no drugs ever helped. i did take some prednisone for a while that eased pain. but the rest was the best thing, although the hand icing worked now and then. i'd put the ice right on the juncture of the thumb and index finger. i'd hold it there for as long as i could which was less than 60 sec. but i found i could get as long as 1 hr. relief from the pain! countdown begins to your date later this week....thinking of you, pete
  • Okay, I was able to move my follow-up appointment to discuss MRI results to this Thursday @ 3....so I'll know in three days!!

Thanks for your support everyone.
  • I hope that you are able to find the results you need to start feeling better. I also find that my heating pad helps as well, I love it!!
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Hi hun, I found that swimming relieves a lot of my spine pain. Thats the only way I can exercise because i have DDD, spinal stenois in my entire spine, herniated disks. spinal stenosis only gets worse I am sorry to tell you.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
advertisement