Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lyrica vs Neurotin

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Chronic Pain
Neurotin made me crazy, I mean literally nuts. The Lyrica or Topomax helped along with Tramadol. I have a auto immune disease with lupus which has affected every tissue and organ in my body. I use Lidoderm patches for the pain of shingles when I have the neuralgia. Another good companion, is my trust industrial strength TENS/EMS unit. You can wear it continously or for set periods of time and the best thing about it is you can hook it to your belt or shirt and go along and do things. I stay in pain and don't want to get hooked on narcotics. I want to have the series of four surgeries where they go into the brain and kill the nerve endings but my family is totally against this as there is a chance of paralysis, there is a chance in any type of surgery and they don't deal with the pain like I do. I get so depressed at times I feel death would be a better option. But Poeple who have not ever walked in your shoes cannot understand this. I look healthy from all the plaquenil and predisone which I will be on for the rest of my life, 33 meds a day is a lot and everytime they send me to a new doctor, they add another diagnosis and 2-3 more pills and my meds and insurance run me 1000-1100 per month that doesnot incluede all the doc and hospital bills that I will be paying on for the rest of my life. I don't have money left over to pay the groceries and utilities and it is a matter of time before we loose our home. I worked for 26 yrs in the medical field before this disease took over my life. I pray a lot and do some yoga stretches and I reach out to others who are suffering and that helps to connect with others who know what you are going through.

• Hello Kimberly -

I myself have been on Lyrica (100mg's a day) for the past 2 months now and I'd have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised with how well it's been working...especially when taken in tamdem with the narcotic pain med that I've been prescribed.

From what I've been told by my Pain Management Doc, Lyrica was formulated to more or less replace Neurotin, since there was ALOT in the way of reported side-effects that made Neurotin use less than tolerable for many patients.

Your having Lupus pretty much means that you'll be taking a fair amount of meds over the rest of your lifetime, so the goal is going to be finding/taking the ones that work best and eliminating the ones that don't. Lyrica just might be one that stays on the roster since most folks here that have taken it for awhile do report good things over-all...not alot in the way of similar and nasty Neurotin type side-effects.

Take care Kimberly and all the best to you, feel free to ask anything of any and everyone on this forum...it's an excellent place for both advice and support!

• Hi you two,
    My new primary care Dr just put me on neurontin...It's only been a few days,but I'm hoping for some help with horrific spasms,and leg pain when I try to sleep.Unfortunately, the second day I took it I had a full blown spasm and am still having aftershocks today.So ,today my Dr jacked the dosage up to 600mg.I'll see.....I have read alot about side-effects...my new Dr says I'm not at the end of the road and that we will find some relief for me. I have not had any Dr ever say that to me. Made me feel good. So any input about the side-effects will be appreciated.Thanks Sagehen
  • I'm assuming you are taking 200 mg 3 x day to come up with the 600 mg dose. This is a good starting dose. I am taking neurontin and I am pleased with how much it helps with nerve pain. Some days are better than others, but I know without the neurontin it would be worse.

The only side effect I have is drowsiness, but I am on a much higher dose (800 mg 3 x day). Previously it made me nauseated but that side effect has gone away now. there are several different sites on the web to research the side effects of neurontin. Here is one I like. http://www.drugs.com/sfx/neurontin-side-effects.html

If you don't see any benefits of taking it within a month, your doctor will probably increase the dose. I hope you find something that will help!

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I just joined a few days ago. So I have a story for you. in 2002 I was owner of my own tree service and head of a municipal park department, also a father & more so..... after many bad decisions I chose to quit my job as park maintenance supervisor, sell my tree service to a friend, and go to work for a tree service in another town. I had all the physical strength anyone could want. I was full of confidence and able to do anything I wanted to. The boss I went to work for was always in a hury. On the sunny afternoon of may 9th 2003 I was bentover picking up branches....... I woke up in the hospital to find I had been smashed by a tree log. 4 BLOWNOUT discs 2 back fusion surgerys later I still have pain, and now Im facing another. IT took me 6 years to learn something the apostle Paul said " when I am weak, then I am powerful" something you know or something you may yet learn can encuorage someone, or just brighten someones day. I was a TV junky for too long try reading. I knew someone that learned to crochet and knit. people were happy to get a rug or scarf... they still talk about how thoughtful she was... even though she has been gone 6 years now. I am on lyrica and tramadol also. also cataflam 50mg twice a day. hang in there your not alone...realy treeguy
  • Ughhh... It does help with the nerve pain. Unfortunately the more it numbs the pain the more it numbs my brain. I can't function at work. Can't stay focused and can't remember a darned thing in short term. I have to stop taking it. I take 1 day and it still causes problems. If I took 3x day like the doc said. Forget it. Might as well stay at home.

Never tried neurontin. My ortho was against it. Lyrica and Darvocet. He'd prefer I just take Advil.
  • Hope you find the combo that works for you ;) Started with Neurontin which worked well but PCP wanted to see if pain would improve with Lyrica. I tapered off the Nuerontin (very painful) before I started on the Lyrica. The side effects of the Lyrica were more bothersome for me 8} than the Nuerontin and the pain relief was about the same so I switched back to my good ole stand bye, Neurontin. I have benefited so much from reading the posts of others about these two medications.
    Spineys Rule!!
  • Hi! I take neurontin (800mg. 3xday) I took lyrica twice and all it did was turn me into an eating machine. I ate constantly. Did anyone ever have that problem? Don't give up Kim. I know how you feel. I have Rheumatoid arthritis (RA), TMJ, fibromyalgia (FM), osteo arthritis (OA)(I need both knees replaced), clinical depression, post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)(The Drs overdosed me on dilautid after my 3rd back surgery. I went in for a simple little fusion and ended up with 2 fusions, hardware (down to the tip of my tailbone) and cages through my whole lumbar. That was at Cleveland University Hospital. I swear they used me for a teaching session cuz it's a teaching hospital. My RA I got as a side effect of Lyme disease and it's in every joint but my elbows. I've had almost no relief in over 4 yrs and they've run out of options for me except steroids. I also have a rare eye disease. I've had 4 eye surgeries since 11/08. Trust me when I say I know pain and depression. Most of my last yr has been spent in bed and I get no help or support from anyone. I've been to that giving up point a lot over the last 29 yrs. (This past winter was the worst.) That's how long I've dealt with chronic pain, almost every day. Right now I have 2 more discs that went and I need a 4th surgery. We have really crappy insurance now from my husbands job and they won't pay for where the new Dr I was going to see operates in Pittsburgh. So I'm screwed. I just keep plugging along and hoping for my miracle. It's coming someday. I hope. Don't give up, your Dr has a ton of things he can try on you yet. You've only just begun.
  • I'd have to say neither if you can..my husband had success with both for his back pain but insurance wouldn't cover Lyrica anymore so it was back to Neurontin w/Zanaflex..

At any rate, this forum is helpful but in going thru many chats I realized that not very many of you talk about nutrition. You realize that today's modern food is full of stuff that creates inflammation in the body which is why many of you under pain management do not see any improvement. The pain meds are not treating your problem just helping you get thru the day. My husband suffered for 10 years with back pain,had a diskectomy last year & had complications with CSF leakage thanks to the surgeon. After weeks of being in pain the MD's just wanted to increase his pain meds and offered no other solution but to stay home and rest..we couldn't do that indefinitely so we took a proactive approach and took charge of our health. The doctor's could care less if you feel better or not-they just want to do their job and move on to the next patient.

Do a lot of research on your condition and specifically why your nervous system is out of whack.

My husband has had tremendous success with dietary changes and exercise. It wasn't easy and it didn't happen right away..we took it one day at a time until eventually he took one less pill every day.

To EVERYONE..I recommend seeing an OSTEOPATHIC DOCTOR who can give you other alternatives..but you'd have to be committed to really try it otherwise it won't work for you. My husband was skeptical but he was so tired of the pain and not being able to "live" because it hurt to do anything that he figured he had nothing to lose and much to gain. He is glad he did..100% pain med free after 2 months of osteopathic treatments..GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE! AND EXPLORE ALL OPTIONS BEFORE CONTINUING WITH MORE SURGERY OR PAIN MEDICATIONS...THAT STUFF CAN KILL YOU...
  • I have started on the lowest does of Neuronton 100mg 3xday so+ 300mg total daily.
    WOW It works wonders, I have taken Percocet,Vicodin,Flexeril, and all of them to me have many neg side effects. To me Neuronton is Great it has some side effects of course but to me nothing close to negative. Positive. It dosn't make me sleepy, no confusion or clumsiness or no drugged up feeling like the others. Of course when needed I still take the Pain pills. But neurontin I think is going to really help me with my muscle pain and sciatica. Of course it dosn't rmv the pain but makes it more manageable. In fact it has really helped my mood. I am not that depressed or anxious as often as before. In fact it has given me more energy and has motivated me to do more around the house. "WOW" I have gotten up and actually cleaned house. The low dose starting of 300mg daily has helped, but I can see why you want to increase the dosage, it feels so great you want to increase the dosage. It has actually helped & I just been on it for a week tomorrow.
  • Great news Unknown! I'm so glad you found some relief! Although I feel foggy and dizzy at times and it may possibly be causing me insomnia, I had the same effect as you: overnight success. Neurontin is truly a "wonder drug" for me.

I think at times we perceive our lack of pain as the current drug giving us more energy, but I really believe it's the fact that we finally are free of (some, a lot?) pain!!! <:P
  • I have more energy, motivation and just feel emotionally better, more positive. The pain is still there but Wow it has helped alot with relief. With me starting at the lowest dosage I would RecomI'm more Relaxed. The lowest dose is best to start with bcs then you'll know more or less how the side efects will affect you. Every person reacts differently. I feel a little foggy because it's in my system but nothing like Vicodin or Percs make me. I can't take Vicodins or Percs daily bcs they cause sleep paralysis for me. So Neurontin has helped with sleeping better. I am sleeping much much better now. Vics and Percs make me stay awake at night even if I've taken my last one at 3pm. I feel tired but unable to sleep, then if I fall asleep & I get these paralysis. These Neurontons has helped with that.
    I was also afraid of gaining weight because I looked up reviews and many said they gained weight. I will monitor that & update. I weighed myself and in one week So Far so Great. No weight gain! Yay!!
    Again everyone's body reacts different.
    My mom has fibromyalgia really bad and I told her about Neuronton and she asked her Doctor, they prescribed her 300mg 3xday and she loves it, She says she still feels her Fibro Pain but it has helped her mood so much..
    Neuronton is Great I wish my Insurance would cover Lyrica so I could try that.
  • Hmm, sure you're ok, unknown? I don't mean to sound callous, but you sound a bit manic, or is that just the excitement showing through? Don't get me wrong, I'm super glad you found something to help you sleep and get rid of the pain, but if its that energizing, it may be a bad side effect?

I really, really don't want to sound mean... sorry if this post comes off wrong!

• I've been taking lyrica since my leg pain returned with a vengeance six months after my spinal fusion. It has done a wonderful job of stopping that nerve pain and while I'm a bit sleepy, I don't notice a brain fog and feel I function pretty well. I didn't realize it could cause weight gain. It could be why I feel like eating all the time!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I have been on Lyrica for over a year. Max dosage 2x a day. nerve pain in right side of neck. Works pretty good. Not drowzy. I did eat a lot but I'm not sure if it was that. I am on Atkins diet now and have lost 30# since March. I watch what I eat now.

I started on Neurontin. All those pills, ugh!. Lyrica works better for me and less to do. I know it works because if I forget that pain comes back.

Neurontin was so hard to keep up with dosage. I had to take max dosage with that. Neither drug effected me mentally. I am a big guy at 270# so I guess I would need a larger dosage anyway.

I don't like paying the Lyrica co-pay - not generic
This discussion has been closed.