Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

One week after L2 microdiscectomy: are my symptoms normal?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had discectomy a week ago to remove a disc fragment compressing the left L2 root. I am kind of concerned: the first days after surgery were challenging mostly because of the pain at the surgery site. That kind of pain is diminishing. However since yesterday I started feeling pain and burning in the left buttock and down the front and sides of the thigh. Also my left thigh is all numb, exactly the same as it was before surgery. Is it really true that it takes time for the nerve to heal? Shouldn't I feel already some relief? The neurosurgeon said that the surgery went very well and I need to be patient, but for some reason I am not that convinced...my daughter says it's all because I am moving around too much (I make sure I don't bend, lift or twist, but I do walk in the house, and sit for some time), I don't know what to believe, I hope I haven't done any harm.

Anybody with a similar experience? Any things to watch for during the first weeks after surgery? Thanks so much!

• I didn't sit at all for 3-4 weeks post and still hardly sit. Ask your doc about that. GL
  • Hi, Had discectomy on L5 S1 1 week ago today...I still feel that the nerve is trapped and am unable to straighten my left leg completely without considerable nerve pain. I Hurt my back approx 2 yrs ago and lost some sensation in my left foot and have suffered from shooting pains going accross my left buttock and down my leg with numbness on the left side (Pretty standard symtoms). After another bout of servre symtoms I opted for surgery.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal as I was expecting some pain but the nerve to be free, where as at the moment the nerve feels as it just as trapped as before.

Should I be trying to stretch the nerve?

Thanks in advance
  • Hi, It does take a lonnnnnnggg time for the nerves to heal. My surg. told me that when he was studing to be a doctor that his professors didn't see any patients back until 12 weeks after my surgery because just then does everything start to heal, and I can honestly say that @ week 10 for me is when everything started to really feel better. I know how hard it is to be patience but it does pay off in the long run it just takes time. And the best excercise is walking. I wish you all the best with your recovery and take it easy!!!!
  • Thanks for ya response Nicole...I suppose its just playing the waiting game. At mo am 37 but feeling 90, am sure I'll get there, small steps are the answer.

Glad to hear you've made good recovery.

Thanks Again.

• I am a 45 y/o man and have had two successful MicroD's on L4/L5 to open up nerve roots on LHS L5. I now have a bulging S1 Disc which is making contact on l5 / S1. The leg pain leading to the first two were no-brainers - i had to do them.

In this case, the pain is constant but not as strong. Definitely hurts more than sitting. Even with this, I am taking up to 4 norco's a day to keep moving. Its an option since its the first at the L5/S1 level

Can anyone share with me on whether or not they had a 3rd done and how did it effect them long term?