Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

scripts for meds 1 month before surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Pain Medications
I posted on this but with no response yet, then today: I went to my pm doctor. My surgeons office had called an scheduled my surgery for July 23. My pm doc wrote my prescriptions for the time up until my surgery then a separate prescription with an increased dose for the date of my surgery on so my husband would be able to fill them on the date of surgery. I usually take a 90mg avinza once daily along with 3 7.5 percocet for BT and then muscle relaxers, gels, tens unit, etc. The pm doc kept the avinza the same but the percocet will increase to 10mg 4 times a day and then she said i may need to take it every 4 hours the first week or so, and if so, my husband could pick up another prescription when that one ran out. Is it normal to increase the medicine this much after surgery? Im wondering if maybe she is worried im to tolerant to the meds and is increasing the dose for right after surgery. How hard will it be for me to go back to my normal dose after the surgery? I think she was just trying to get me all set for surgery since I can only get pain medicines from her office per my contract with her, but I am wondering what happens if I am lucky this time and the pain isnt as bad (prayingggg). Will I be able to cut the 10mgs in half as the surgical pain goes away? Hoping this surgery helps me to be able to cut down on pain meds a whole lot, so I dont wanna become dependent on a higher dose if i dont need to. Am I just being paranoid or is this a normal procedure? I just used the neuro for my prescriptions after surgeries one and two, so I am not really familiar with how it works when you throw a pain management doc into the mix??????

• Cindy,
    That seems typical to me experience. My pm Doc did let the Surgeon prescribe what was needed for surgery, however he gave me my normal amounts. He just told me to bring back to him what I didn't use and show the bottle to them. So if you find that you don't need all of them or want a lighter dose have your hubby take back the un- used meds to pm doc to swap out. Although they can't re-use them but this way they know you are on the up and up and have no issues. More than likely you will be thankful for those at first. You can just spread them out over more time. Take care.
  • Thanks tamtam. Sounds like that would work. I was given a shot of some sort after my first surgery right before I left the hospital. Hubby was told to give me two pills a couple hours later. I didnt take them cause I thought I was wonderwoman (dont even remember it and have no idea what the shot was). A couple hours after that I was begging him to take me to the hospital because I thought something was wrong. It was because I didnt take the pain pills like they told me to. I've learned my lesson there. Just hoping this time that they fix me and I can have some pain free (or as close to pain free as we spineys get) without becoming dependent on more meds.