Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

DDS scheduling a psych evaluation,please visit me in the looney bin!

sagehenssagehen Posts: 221
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Here we go...DDS called and because I am on Zoloft,wants to schedule a psychological evaluation,"to see how deep this goes" I don't really know what that means....but anyway...I don't care if it means I can get some action. Any experiences to share will be appreciated. Thanks Sagehen

• Sagehen:

You are hilarious! (I was going to say "you're so crazy" but thought the wording was insensitive). My husband and I thought the same thing when I had my psych eval scheduled for the SCS!

Don't stress over this appointment. What happens with DDS is that if a claimant (you) states you are treated for something, or the medical records indicate you are being treated for something which necessitates you taking the Zoloft, and these records are from your GP, or PM doc, and not a psychologist/psychiatrist, they will have to schedule an appointment (at the expense of the Federal government) to document their files. Basically, this doctor has a list of what he/she needs to discuss in his/her report. The DDS should send this doctor whatever medical records they have that is pertinent to your claim so it can be reviewed prior to your examination. So, don't be alarmed if this doctor does not spend a great deal of time re-hashing old history. He will likely just perform a generic Mental Status evaluation to find out why you take Zoloft, and how you have responded to this drug and whether you are following prescribed treatment (following your doctor's orders). DDS cannot leave any stone unturned. They have to develop everything before a fair decision can be made on your claim.

This doctor is not on your side, or on the side of the Federal government. He is just a doctor who has agreed to do evaluations for the price SSA has offered. He can make suggestions, but that would be about it. You do have the right to be treated fairly and if you feel you have been disrespected in anyway, you can file a complaint.

That being said, try to relax. Be yourself and answer all the questions honestly.

Don't expect a decsion on your disability claim for at least a month because by law these doctors have 30 days to submit their reports. SSA does offer incentives ($5.00 extra - woo hoo!) for any doctor who sends in their reports before the 30 days, but, just count on the 30 days. THEN, this report has to be reviewed by a Psychologist/Psychiatrist on staff at DDS, and this is generally where the hold-up is. These reports are reviewed in depth and compared to other reports in your file. It's not as cut and dry as looking at an x-ray or MRI report.

I hope I have put your mind at ease as far as policy and procedure at your local SSA and DDS offices. If you have any questions, I am but a PM away.

Good luck!

• I'm not really too worried about it. I have finally developed the attitude "I don't need anybody to validate my pain,I know how I feel". Although I have had to learn how to communicate better with Drs,bosses,etc.So I will be alright,but thanks for all the insight you have on this. I've read alot of your posts and it's pretty informative.
    Thanks Again, Sagehen