Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic vs Acute Pain

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Chronic Pain
We all deal so long and hard with chronic pain. Each of us tries to identify what is the best action plan to help get through it.
I was just reminded of Acute Pain. The past 4 days my right knee was swollen and getting bigger with a lot of pain and trouble putting any pressure on it. Had no idea what I did.
I went to my Deep Tissue Guy and he said I stetch ACL like tendons and my calf muscles locked in a natural response. Well, he dug his elbows in to my thigh up/dow which seemed for about 3 hours. All of that torture did help.. I came up used a lot ice and am doing that today.
But the thing is I am basically actuing like a baby with this.
Using a cane to get out of chair, leg up in the air, ice, etc
Let I can deal with day to day chronic pain....

Its very interested, so much of it depends on our outlooks.
We all know that acute may be intense, but it will go away, with chronic will know it will always be there
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• good thought ron. we have a routine in the way we handle chronic pain. it's always there. we know every aspect of it. we reluctantly put up with it.
    but accute pain is different. it hits hard and you don't know whats going to happen. you're traveling down an unknown road.....what's next? what do i do? the only good thing about acute pain it it takes your mind off the chronic for a while. when the accte is gone and the chronic is back I say "hey, not so bad, I can live with this" :-C :-C :-C
  • Sometimes I find it difficult to distinguish between acute pain going on in my back from a pain flare brought upon from the same chronic pain generators. I wonder is it something new? When should I call the doctor about it? And, maybe I should just wait til it passes?

I'm having a hard day because of lower back pain and muscles spasms/nerve pain in my legs. I hope it subsides a bit so I can get up and around- I'm tired of being in bed.

Anyway, I hope your knee gets better soon, and yes...you do have all the right in the world to "act like a baby" because of all the pain you have endured. Heck, I do it and it wouldn't bother me any O:) I'm the world's biggest baby :D Get well soon...
  • I have to agree with Pete. We get used to chronic pain being there. Just because we are calling it a 4 on a painscale instead of a 7 does not mean it hurts less, just that we've become accustomed to it.

Kind of like the muscle contractions in my calf that wakes me up on average 3 out of every 7 nights. The first couple times it happened, I would sit bolt up in bed screaming at the sudden onset of it all and my husband would wake up and sometimes even one of my sons... Now a days... I don't sit up. I just lay there until it passes and my foot is able to relax again... Then drift back off to sleep if possible...

It's all in how we train our minds to perceive things...

Isn't it?

• Which goes back to what my doctor had told me. "It's all in your head." I don't agree but I will say this, I have practically healed over time overnight because I changed my mindsite. Some people here I am sure remember the sleepless nights I spent in chat crying in pain, could hardly walk, couldn't work not even for barely an hour, and then, I got a puppy....and I was just....happier...so happy...she took all of my time. She forced me to be more active, because she couldn't take care of herself, I had to take care of her. So, I began training her, walking her, petting her, brushing her, bathing her, and then next thing you know I am at the dog park RUNNING with her and rolling with her. In the 2.5 years that I could barely walk, because I changed my mindset, I changed my life and it so helps. It's just hard getting that subconscious mindset of the fact that you are always going to be in pain....but it's how you think about it.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I hope that you're feeling better. Keep your feet up and take it easy.

• I am glad you found something to give you a respite from the pain you had been experiencing. You are one of the lucky ones who have found a way around your pain.

Acceptance is a major hurdle. If anyone can learn to accept their lot in life - no matter what it may be, it helps them to move on.

I don't need a puppy. I have a husband, 3 sons (18, 17, 12), a mother... my father recently passed away (April 6), but before he did, I took care of him as well. My dog (a golden retriever named Jacques), and a tabby cat named Ms. Kitty have both passed away within the last 12 months as well.

My energy is redirected all the time. Getting my kids where they need to be. Being sure my mother keeps her doctor appointments (she is a pain patient as well, and has recently beat lung cancer) - do her grocery shopping for her, picking up her medication, and then putting it in her weekly pill dispenser... PLUS, being sure I spend MORE quality time with my husband than I do with any one else...

Wish I could retrain MY brain... While my pain is there a good 85% of the time (generally it wakes me up at night too), I do not let it dictate to me how I will spend my day. Well, ok - sometimes I can't help it and have to spend more time resting than I would like. Basically, I keep myself busy. I know I am going to be in pain. While I still go on with my life despite the pain, the pain is still there and is a constant companion. What it NEEDS to do is learn to be a Silent Partner...

I believe everyone is different. They feel pain differently also and deal with it in their own way. I wish a puppy would be just the thing to make everyone feel better. And I mean, really... LOOK AT THAT PUPPY'S FACE! How could you NOT love her, right? I just want to rub her head every time I see it!! :)

• Big, big, owie!!

I am so sorry to hear about your knee. I hope it starts feeling better real soon. Are your calf muscles sore, too?

I know exactly where you are coming from with trying to find the best coping methods to deal with our chronic pain and then low and behold... something acute comes along and hurts... really bad!

About 3 weeks ago, I bent my right knee way further than it was ready to bend. I had washed some light in weight floor rugs... one of them I keep under my laptop stand by my bed. I decided not to clear my laptop off of the stand and lifted the stand to put my one rug underneath it. In order to straighten out the rug, I had to bend my knees and I put too much pressure on my right knee. I felt a lot of "crackling" in my right knee, as soon as I stood up. Like you, my knee swelled and it took me a while to work whatever I did to it... out. It is still a little swollen, but almost better.

You are WISE, not a "baby", for using your cane to support yourself while it heals. You'll know when the time is right to put more pressure on your knee. Elevating it is great too... that's exactly what I did (and still do). Don't you dare come down on yourself for using your cane, elevating your leg and anything else that helps you!

I'll be over there using the cane on your head, if you call yourself a baby again!

Take good care, Ron and please let us know how you're doing.

You'll be in my prayers, as always.

Tammy >:D<
  • Hello Ron -

After reading through your post, I couldn't help but be reminded of what an ER Doc that I worked with years ago had said in response to a patient that was REALLY carrying on because of a fairly routine wrist sprain he'd experienced. After the patient left the ER, the Doc turned to me and said..."geez, I can't imagine how that guy will act if he EVER has to deal with CHRONIC pain."

That spoke volumes to me after not only seeing the difference first hand (after a department change in the hospital) but then also after becoming a chronic pain patient just a few short years later. Any pain is bad pain, and acute pain can no doubt be severe, but the difference between acute and chronic pain is we know that acute pain will go away...but chronic pain is here to stay!

The Physiology between the two is different as well, as acute pain doesn't affect the brain's pain receptors the same way as with chronic...simply because of the length of time in which the receptors are affected.

Don't feel like a baby because of your response, since it wont be long and you'll be rid of the new acute pain and right back to the old and boring chronic stuff! :)

Take care and all the best to ya!

• PapaRon, I hope your knee is feeling better.

It's strange the way the mind works with regards to pain. I'll give an example:

My husband gets a paper cut on his hand and to hear him talk about it (or should I say whine about it), it's the worst pain ever and he has to remind me about it and give me updates constantly.

Then he gets a gout flareup that's so bad he can't walk without a cane. (This is serious pain and although not technically considered chronic, it is usually fairly long-term and can be what most of us deal with daily.) Anyway, he gets this terrible gout flareup and I can see the pain on his face, but he hardly talks about it at all. When I ask him how he's feeling, he says "it's bad, but I'll be ok."

When our pain is chronic and really bad the more we don't like to talk about it, we try not to think about it - we just go along trying not to make it worse and taking our meds to get through the day. But when it's acute pain, OMG there's nothing worse in the world - will it ever go away? Wah.

Us humans are very strange indeed.
  • by the way i love your dog....which makes me wonder what our pets go through when they experience pain. my guess is that they are the same as us. they scream when suddenly hit by acute pain and endure the chronic pain in silence. yet so many are put to sleep when they're really suffering. one thing i know about dogs is they are very persistent and very rarely give up. in that respect they set a great example.
    well i better get back to my stretching
    hang in there >:D< >:D<
  • Dilauro,
    I have studied chronic pain for many years and Ron’s distinction between the two aspects of chronic and acute is spot on, Araine was told that it is all in your head are incorrect and support by research evidence that only 2% have no substantive medical supporting evidence, the origin of the pain is predominantly elsewhere but the effect and perception or concepts we hold magnify how this makes us feel, and to some extent, a self perpetuating cycle.

Having made that distinction the transition from one to another is an important factor to all pain patients and the research in Melzack and Wall, The Textbook of Pain suggest that the time element although a factor, can shift sooner that we initially imagine.

Araine is also correct in that changing your mindset which PM attempts to do, assists us in living with the pain, rather than in it, a simple concept difficult to implement and embrace. Some have purported chronic pain as a syndrome in itself and once we understand the creation of all its nuances and development we should in theory with support and guidance be able to deconstruct those inadvertent processes and live as Araine mentioned a more fulfilling and quality existence.

My own pain has never diminished in its severity just my individual perception of it and the incumbent limitations, distraction and focusing on other things while acknowledging its existence and not succumbing wholeheartedly to limitations while living in that duality of chronic pain and adequate quality of life is not easy, to initiate sustain and embrace. We all do well in getting through every day and reach monumental achievements, given our condition that sometimes, go unnoticed, acknowledged or appreciated.

Take care John
This discussion has been closed.