Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to forum....Could use some help.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in New Member Introductions
I just wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone has some helpful information for me. I am a soon to be 36 year old female, mother of three. All my children were delivered by c-section. I have had problems with my back since my first son was born over 9 years ago. At the time, I worked and had health insurance. I had severe back and hip pain. I went to doctor after doctor. I was finally referred to a pain management clinic after I experienced numbness in two of my fingers on my right hand. It was due to my ulner nerve. I was being treated for that, pain in my lower back, hip and my knees. Whenever I would walk my knees would make a cracking like noise and be very painful. After many months of therapy my hand got better along with my knee pain. I still had back issues. Finally, a ortho doctor scheduled me for epidural steroids. I had my first injection but due to my child being born hearing impaired decided I needed to stay home with him. That was my first and last ortho visit. Shortly after I found out I was pregnant again. I feared having another epidural because I honestly believe the first one caused my back problems. The doctor said we would do a spinal tap instead. When they did the spinal tap they said they had to go up quite a bit higher do to scar tissue in my lower back. After my second son was born the back and hip pain returned. There is times when I "pull my back out" and can't walk but this pain is different. It feels like my hip is on fire, it aches throbs and burns. I can only describe it as a "wirey" feeling that all you want to do is pinch and squeeze it. The next problem I experienced was severe stiffness in my back. I could not straighten up in the mornings and it took me several hours to "loosen" my back. It was painful also. (sorry for the long post). I dealt with this problem for several years. It finally, just went away. After my third son was born it returned again. Also, I do have carpel tunnel but when pregnant it gets much worse. Finally, last year I pulled my back out. I was in the worse pain of my life. I had dealt with tons of back pain but never like this. It last 3 weeks. I had pain going down my leg (front and back) and pain in my but and hips but different then my normal pain. Finally, my Mom paid for me to go to the doctor. He said I had arthritis. He put me on flexeril and vicodin (which didn't do much for my pain) but it was much better than over the counter stuff. My doctor didn't do any x-rays for anything. I went back every few months for refills and he finally upped my vicodin to 90 a month. Financially, I cannot afford to go back so have dealt with everything. Now, for the last month and a half part of my ring finger, all of my pinky and my outside palm have went numb. You can still feel some of the feeling but it is like this constantly. I have done research and it points to my ulner nerve again. Now I have pain in my fingers, wrist and hand. It feels like shooting, stabbing pain. My numb fingers are also very sensitive to hot and cold water or items. It causes shooting pain when I am rinsing off dishes and the water is hot or if I hold an ice cube with those fingers. My other hand has been falling asleep much more during the night (like it did when I was pregnant). I don't know now if it is my ulner nerve or possibly something to do with my back. My back has felt better lately but gets worse if I am active. I pay for my activities that night or the next day. Also, my right ankle swells and aches at times and now my left ankle is sensitive to touch and aches when turning it. It feels stiff. I haven't been back to my doctor with these new symptoms. I am sure I will be sent to a neurosurgeon. BUT I have not money or insurance so I can't afford to go. I am afraid I will eventually lose function in my hand because it has gradually gotten weak. We do have a university hospital near and I didn't know if that is a better start for me. I am at my whits in with all these medical problems. I feel more like 60 instead of 35. My doctor said my stomach muscles were weak after my c-sections and that was causing my lower back pain. I need relief now. Again, sorry for the long post but if anyone has any advice or has had similar symptoms I am all ears. I now have depression and anxiety and don't feel like I am being the best Mom I can be with all these problems. My kids deserve more and I know right now I am not at 100%. Thanks! Cindy

• Dear Smileys- I am in a similiar boat- three kids, all c sections, ages 2-9, and I battle daily pain due to a car accident which magnified an existing cervical/migraine problem. It was "occasional", now its daily. I know about feeling like your not giving your kids the best. But the feeling is a lie. You ARE giving them your best. Always tell yourself that. WHen you are in pain your best might mean 1 load of laundry and 3 meals. Sometimes its less. I have survival days (we usually eat mcdonalds those days) and other days I manage to get to the zoo or the beach. Don't let those lies that your mind comes up with bring you down. Nobody will love your kids more than you.
  • Thank you for you kind encouraging words. They brought tears to my eyes. It is difficult to stay positive when you have no idea on your condition and what it will bring tomorrow. My kids know about my back issues. If they see me up and about or play a game of volleyball (very rarely) they say "I am so glad you back is better Mom!". I am lucky and blessed to have a supported husband who is there for me daily. At times you just wish you could do more. I am sorry you are dealing with the same thing as I. Hopefully, I can retrain my thinking and look at the positive side of things. Take care, Cindy
  • hi...i'm pretty new here also. i too suffer from pain. some of my troubles over the years similar to you are carpel tunnel, leg pain, back pains and swelling of feet.
    Let's try to agree on a goal....
    how about....
    1. less pain in hands
    2. feel less anxious
    3. less pain in legs and back

it's easy for me to sit here and set these up....i don't have to achieve them }:) }:) }:)

now...how do we get there?
    #1 is easy...there is simple surgery for carpel tunnel....i've had it...it works.
    #2...not so easy. Vicoden has a side effect of making some people anxious. lets get rid of it. let's consult with primary dr. about different meds or even just tylenol which is one of the ingredients of vicoden
    #3...not so easy...here's a proposal:
    join stretching class to loosen up muscles all over your body.
    i hope you can agree to the above steps....if not do you think some other plan would work?
    Now we still have to ease our fears about some major underlying problem in your spine.
    you mentioned scar tissue was discovered in your back when they did spinal tap. maybe there's more scar tissue. Hopefully you can get the means to obtain some scans that will give us some answers. if not i guess we just have to follow our plan and hope for the best.
    here's something to work towards...
    pain in hands gone!
    stretching toughens up the muscles and tones the stomach.
    the exercise calms me down and then i feel better about myself.
    I forgot about the foot swelling. What meds are you on? how long have you had it?
    how do you feel about this approach?
    like i say it's easy for me to set this up...i don't have to do it :) :)