Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post-op discectomy June 1,2009

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a discectomy on 6/01/09. I also felt like the first week was amazing. I felt like a had so much more energy, and that it was a miracle for the horrible pain I had for the past 6 months in my leg and back. Then last week, my foot started going numb, and was hard to walk because it became stiff. Then my calf also became stiff. Now my lower leg and foot hurts to much to put pressure on it. My doctors office recommends the medrol pack(steroids)s and also told me about the damage that could of been done to the nerve, and that this is very normal post-op. They also said that I could have this pain the rest of my life. I wish as many of you did, that someone could of told me some of this prior to surgery. I feel helpless and frustrated.

• Sorry to hear you are having problems. Give it time, so often we tend to panic the first week out, especially when pain returns. The steroid pack may do the trick.

Your doctor is simply trying to cover all the bases, at least that is what it sounds like to me. They want to warn you in case it does not get better. The hope is that it will.

Try to take it easy and give it some more time.
  • Wrambler is correct, give it some time.

Many times though, we are told of these sorts of outcomes and others but in our desperation to get relief we don't "hear" everything we were being told or read everything that is printed on the surgical release. If we do, sometimes we tend to believe that it will only be on a minor scale if it happens at all.

I hope that you find some relief soon.