Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I don't understand

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Pain Management

I have herniated discs as c5/6 and 3/4. I have had a MRI. The spine doc gave me a perscription of Vicodin, 1 or 2 at bedtime. I actually need them for during the day to function. Sleeping doesn't give me a problem as of yet as I take Zoloft and a Klonopin to sleep and it helps I get up at 3:30am to go to work everyday. lol I can't get a refill until June 22. I'm going to call the PM doc that I've only had one visit to when I need a refil so I have some relief before the shot I'm getting on July 2. I'm wondering if he'll give me the same orders as the spine doc or different orders. For the refill, we leave a message on the machine at the office and they write out the perscription that day and we have to pick it up there. Do I say something on the answering machine to the effect that I need more relief during the day or should I just leave it the way it is and see what he prescribes? As I am at work right now, the back of my neck is screaming.

I'm sorry for all the posts and I'm real new to this. I may have repeated myself in another post in Pain Management.

I hope you all have a good day today! It's beautiful outside here finally after days of clouds.

• Welcome to Spine-Health.com. We have a great member community here and at any given time, someone will be on line who can share the experiences they've had. We do have some insomniacs as well, so if you find yourself unable to sleep, pop in for a spell.

If you have any questions, please contact either one of the moderators (Paulgla, Bruce, Pristesss or me) or our administrator, Dilauro. For new member information, please click on:

You should also check out the Home Page for Spine-Health.com. There is a wealth of information there with articles written by doctors, reviewed by doctors. There's also videos on neck and back problems and procedures that are very interesting...

Some think that requesting certain medication from a doctor will send up red-flags. Not all doctors feel comfortable writing prescriptions for pain medication and may require extensive documentation for whatever it is you may be suffering from. Because you mentioned the diagnosis in your opening line, I assume you've already done all these tests... That being said, you may just mention that the medication you take at night does not really offer much relief during the day, and ask your doctor what he/she recommends you do for daytime pain. You should generally ask the doctor what his/her opinion or recommendation is, then try to follow whatever it is they say. Everyone is different, and what works for some, may not work for others; either way, anything is worth a try.

You mention you are going for a shot soon. Hopefully, this will give you great relief. I have had several in my low back, which have not helped, but the ONE I had in my neck actually did some good. Maybe you will be that lucky too?

Well, again, welcome to our community. I am sure you will find support and good information here!

• I agree with Jeaux. I would leave it the way it is.
  • I agree with Jeaux that if you already have a diagnosis, it shouldn't be a problem to talk to your doctor about not getting relief with the current medicine regiment you have. Make sure you call before you totally run out because it may take a few days for a refill request to be called in/or a script be ready for pick up.

When I first herniated my L4-S1 discs, the pain flared up really bad and I called my clinic in tears and terrified about what was going on. Thankfully my doctor let me take 2 hydrocodones (vicodin) every 4 hours instead of just 1, and he also called in some steroids to help me out.

I'm sure your doctor will understand and do what's necessary to get you some relief while you're waiting on your spinal injection. Take care
  • I love it when people agree with me!

Now, if I could just get the KIDS to learn that.... the world would be a better place. At least at my house!

• It's hard to ask for something else, it makes you feel like they're going to put your head on a spike. Ignorant docs will see it as a pill seeker, but it's called "psuedo-addiction" when someone's in enough pain that they need something better or stronger.

I usually wait till my next meeting face to face to mention it, then they can see you and get an idea if you're desperate for more, or just in pain.
  • for all the replies. I'm just going to leave a message for a refill and see what he gives me. I'll wait until I personally see him to talk with him more about pain relief during the day and what my options are. Hopefully the shot in the neck will help the neck but then we'll have to start looking at my lower back issues. It seems like it never ends.