Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Numbness After Surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My fiance recently suffered an injury where she had to have a laminectomy/back fusion. Before surgery she had numbness down her right leg. After surgery she has numbness from her stomach down (both legs). Surgery was 5 days ago and the surgeon insists it'll get better but after reading posts in this forum I am getting nervous. Every poster seems to say the numbness never goes away. Did anyone have this numbness after surgery and have it gradually phase away? If so how long did it take?

• I do not have expereince with this, but I do hope for this best. Maybe the numbness will go away after a while. Better to have numbness then pain though wouldn't you say? Wish your fiance the best!
  • Some people have more numbness, or even different numbness after surgery. Because they get in there and irritate the nerves and just general inflammation from surgery, it can be worse. This is my situation. It was MUCH worse after my recent surgery, but it's gradually improving (I'm 6 weeks out). I would definitely keep up with her surgeon to let them know what's going on so they can assess her. Did she have an anterior surgery (through her stomach) or through her back? If her stomach was opened, there may be some strange numbness until her nerves re-connect. Everyone is different, and nerves heal/re-connect at different rates. Unfortunately, depending on her situation, there MAY be permanent nerve damage. She should ask her sugeon (straight out) if he feels there will be any permanent damage.
    Best of luck for her recovery!
  • I had numbness in my stomach and down the left leg from the hip to the knee. I also had numbness in the top of the right leg in the crease where your stomach meets the leg.I am 5 weeks out and most of it is gone. I still have a little near the lower part of the incision and it is gradually comming back in the left leg. Sometimes it feels like Im being pricked with little pins.My doctor assured me that this is all normal and part of the healling process.Besides the numbness, I would get terrible cramps in my right lower leg that would only be relieved by walking, this is also completely normal.

It good that she has support from you. I would not have been able to get though this without the support of my family. My husband has been the best. He's there on the good days and a saint on the bad ones. On those days he sits with me and helps me get my mind on other things instead of focusing on the pain. I tell myself every day that I will get better, I will get better, I will get better!!!So far its working. I feel great and Im walking over a mile a day. Ventured out to church and the grocery store last week(only walked, no picking up groceries, no driving). Hope to have restictions lifted on 2 month appointment of July 10. Good luck!!!

39 yr. old mother of 5 Children, 20,19,14,14,9
    Lumbar strains: 1995, 1997, 1998

Major injury: 2002, 2 herniated disc w/tears, DDD, Spinal Stenosis, Major nerve damage in both legs.

Treatments included: Celebrex, Bextra, Ralaphin, Flexril, Naproxin, Motrin, Ultram, Steroid injections, Nerve Blocks, Physical Therapy, Aqua Therapy, specific exercise regimen, loss of 70 lbs.

Surgery: May 2009 ALIF of L5-S1 with titanium cage and 4 screws, ADR Pro-Disc at L4-L5

Current Meds: Vicadin 5mg/500, daily aspirin, calcium supplement, senicot, bone growth stimulator
  • Hi,
    It is way too soon to worry about the numbness. There will be a constand progression of different issues througout the recovery and numbness is part of it because of the nerves being moved around. It takes awhile for everything to settle down.

Continue to be a good support system for your fiance and follow the Drs orders. Be patient!