Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How do I?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Fibromyalgia
Hi All,

I have make an appointment with my Family Doc to follow up on my anxiety, blood pressure, etc and to get my FMLA papers filled out.

My question is: I'm seeing a PM doc for my neck then we going to focus on my lower back. I have pain in basically all my joints and some muscle pain. Do I bring this up with my family doc? I'm going to see her next week. I've brought it up previously to my former Family Doc but she basically just blew it off. Hopefully this new doc will really listen to me and help me. Do I mention to her that I think I have fibromyalgia or osteoarthritis or do I just give her my symptoms then go from there?

Thanks so much for reading.

• Hi Lisam,
    I would tell all my Drs. I have learned from years of experience,that Drs can't read our minds.and I think alot of them are very "real",you know they listen to what you have to say and that helps them figure out your problem. Fibro is still controversial,so I would definetly state my case.Doing so may bring you relief faster.And that's what it's all about.I sympathise with your low back troubles too,hope they get you feeling better. Sagehen
  • Absolutely speak to your new doctor. Like you said, this doctor may actually listen to you (we can all hope, right?). A good rule of thumb is to always speak what is on your mind with the doctors - like Sagehen said - they are not mind readers.

Case in point - I was seeing a Rheumatologist for a connective tissue disorder, but kept complaining about my neck and back hurting. Even once, my neck was in spasm during my appointment, which he did note. He flat out refused to do xrays - even though I asked him to, if for no other reason but to shut me up. He said my problem was with the connective tissue, and this would not show up. While he was dictating the office notes on my exam to be typed, I stopped him, and told him "be sure you mention that I asked for xrays and you refused". I got a "look" from him, but he did.

Few months later, I was seeing the nurse. I begged her to do xrays. She did. When she called me with the results (spurs, bulges and herniations) she did so almost begrudgingly...

I then took myself to another doctor, a GP, who listened to me and was shocked at this "highly reputable" doctor and his callousness. Quickly orderd MRIs of my neck and back and the rest, my friend, is Pain Management History...

Each doctor is different, just like everyone else in the real world.

Best wishes to you!

• You should mention it to alllll of your docs. If you're applying for FMLA because of pain - you sure as heck want documentation from all your docs of all your pain issues. It will help if you ever have to apply for disability.