Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Medtronic Antenna

WramblerWWrambler Posts: 1,588
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Pain Management
I have slowly, ok call me stupid, come to realize that my concerns over having the ipg in my hip area are not really an issue. It has healed up well and is only slightly tender.

Why I wanted to post is I have just come to realize that with my Medtronic Advanced ipg I don't need the antenna to turn on or off the unit at all. I had started to go through the steps of synching and turning it off or on without the antenna a week or so ago. Just today I have come to figure out by accident that turning on or off the ipg only takes ONE button! Hold the remote over the ipg press the side stim on or off button and the unit synchs and turns on or off the ipg. its that simple. No multiple button presses needed.

I kind of wish medtronic used the magnet feature, but this is the next best thing.

I did not see anything in the user manual that mentioned this. I figure most people will figure it out, but wanted to pass along the info.

Be nice if they had individual buttons assigned to programs though.

• When I accidentally figure things out like that, I feel so.... CUNNING and CLEVER. Sometimes even Brilliant! But if the kids are around when it happens, I'm all like "hmp. piece of cake" but inside I'm going "YESSSSSS!"

I am glad you are becoming one with your unit. Sure makes things easier when you figure out all those shortcuts!

Take care and keep on keeping on!

• Actually the patient programmer is designed really slick. Although it may seem like it has useless steps for turning things on or off etc... it's actually designed that way to allow for a bunch of functions that aren't used on a daily basis. One of those being a Lead Connectivity Check. There's actually quite a bit of programming and troubleshooting that can be done with the programmer if for instance your rep wanted to talk you through it on the phone if you were in a jam.

I am personally grateful that Medtronic doesn't use the magnet to turn the IPG on and off. I guess since I utilize a lot more of the "hidden features" of the programmer and the SCS itself, I find the design very intuitive and smartly designed.

The feature you discovered by accident is there so that the unit can be queried without syncing it first. Once you sync the programmer and IPG you lose some of the stored data that can tell you what's up or not up with your system. It's a way to isolate malfunctions to either the leads, the IPG or the Patient Programmer. It's actually pretty slick from a maintenance point of view.

Glad that you are getting more comfortable with not needing the antenna. I very seldom use it and can change and adjust programs with the programmer only. You can activate it and remove it from your IPG to look at the display and reposition your hands on the buttons before placing it back over the IPG to make a setting change. It doesn't have to stay in constant contact with the IPG.

So overall how would you rate your SCS now that you've had it for a month and things are settling down?

• Well, to be honest, I can only give it about a 30-50% rating. There is really NOTHING wrong with the unit. It simply does not cover some of my pain :(

For what pain it does cover it works well. however I sometimes find myself disgusted with having the non covered areas hurting and the SCS buzzing all at the same time. Much the same as the trial I might add, but I knew this going in!

My current intent is to do nothing until I see my PM on July 2 for the 2 month followup. Then I intend to ask for them to start from scratch and go through ALL my leads and contact points, settings etc,

That way I hope to know 100% for sure I am getting everything I can get covered out of the SCS and its placement.

Love, the battery life of the Advanced! I can go weeks without charging!

Hate my body for hurting in places I can't seem to get coverage. While I no longer take Norco on a daily basis I find if I attempt to do any bending and such I need to use Norco to get past the pain in my T spine :( Once I get past that I can do things as long as I keep it light. The next day is usually pretty bad.

I am just taking it one day at a time. I don't want to go in to my PM and ask for any changes yet. Every time I have mentioned it he has said "you need more time" etc, I think I may need to go to the rep to get what I want done, but, I don't want to step on the only toes in town. Unless I HAVE TO!
  • Wrambler, I wish that the SCS had given you more coverage. Pains stinks. If you feel that some changes would help and the PM won't seriously consider it, I would talk to the rep in a heartbeat. You know how you feel better than anyone. I get so tired of the medical profession ignoring us and saying more time when we ask questions. I have reached the point of not caring if I step up some toes or not. It's my life not theirs. Sorry if I sound like a B but............. frustration is reaching new heights for me.

Hang in there and talk to anyone that could answer your questions. (((((Hugs))))) Try not to over do it too often.
  • I agree, it's your body and your pain and if there's someone else who can reprogram your SCS better, then it seems like a no brainer to me, but of course I'm not in your shoes. I hope you figure out a good solution soon. I know I was completely amazed after nearly a year of the leads firing very focused, to having the pattern dispersed at how much more relief I can get out of the SCS.

It is frustrating when the SCS doesn't cover all the pain areas. When that happens real intensely, I have to remember how bad I would feel without it. It helps bring me back to reality a bit.

Anyway, hang in there and keep us posted.