Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pets and pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Lighten and Brighten
I was wondering if any of you notice that your pet(s) know when you are in pain? My cat doesn't like to be picked up and held, she is mostly independent and wants to be left alone, but when she does want attention she might sit beside you to let you pet her. But when the pain is really bad suddenly she is all over me. She gets up on my lap for attention, she gets on top of me and sleeps on my stomach, or sleeps between my legs. She has to be on me or at least near me. I think she is worried about me and trying to comfort me. It works too, I feel better cuddling her and having that warm little fuzzball on me purring while I'm snoring! lol

• Animals are awesome. They know if there's a ghost, or unwelcomed entity. They can judge someone without saying a word. They can sense they are loved and can sense when when all is not right with the one they love and depend on and count on.

My cat, Ms. Kitty, was the same way. I would love another pet, but we are so busy and hardly home - and I could not do that to a baby animal right now.

And Donna - there is nothing more soothing than hearing that little purring sound...

I feel more relaxed now just thinking about it!

• I love to make the Kitty purrr...rrrr! coz ime good like dat!!! really i know all the spots...like under the chin right at the chinhair limit. then right there behind the ear...just so and then the kitty air shock spot, the root of thier tale. there are other spots but a professional kitty purr-err maker cant reveal all. like the little kitty neck rub behind both ears at the same time..what are your sure fire kitty errr... make feeler betters?
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• My Pekingese is usually self centered and wants attention when convenient (she's so cute she gets away with it), but she has jumped on me and my legs (ouch!) when I feel like hell. She mistakes me for a dogbed and will cuddle and sneeze all over me. I don't care, I like any attention I get anyway O:)
  • That's exactly it, meydey! I'm thinking, "Not now, I'm hurting." But next thing you know we are snuggled up together and I'm enjoying it. lol
  • I have 3 indoor dogs and the boys are ultra-sensitive to my pain. My Jack Russell (the one on my avatar) is so very gentle when I hurt more than usual and will get next to me at a snails pace. I have a found-on-the-road yorkie who is disabled also (he's missing part of one leg) and he is catching on and will make like HE'S hurt so I'll pick him up LOL
    My female Jack Russell is old and cares for no one but herself. I do believe that she's getting dementia!

Those dogs make my life full every day. Sometimes they are the only reason I get out of bed. I can't imagine what I'd do without them.

• That is hilarious!

My cat, Ms. Kitty, had feline leukemia (God rest her soul). Every now and then, she'd get a runny nose. If I was laying on the couch, she was on my chest, making biscuits. Sometimes, she would shake her head (or worse - sneeze) and kitty snot would get everywhere - my eyes, my cheeks...

Gosh... I miss those days...
  • ugh, try it with a 110lb Airedale...Ewe

Chewy gets excited and sneezes, its only funny if someone else is in front of his nose when it happens!

Then it's hilarious! =))
  • My cat had stayed out again 2 nights ago and came in limping with the same paw he hurt in a fight with a raccoon before where he required surgery for the paw injury. Once in awhile like yesterday he was limping all day. My husband said great a limping cat and limping wife! Well the cat slept with me last night and his paw is better and he's not limping today but I still am. I think he knows my pain just because he gets a little flare up now and then also. It's too bad the neighbor moved out and left him behind but he's our cat now and such a lovely little charmer. I think pets are sensitive to our feelings and know how to nip at our heartstrings. He even goes over and comforts my neighbor because she's been unwell with trigeminal neuralgia and she loves his company! A pet can help cheer us up and I'm sure the dog can even encourage us to go for walks! Have a good day. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • My dog does it all. It's her way of communicating besides barking. At 3am when she wants on the bed, she'll wake me up by her heavy "breathing". When she gets irritated, first she'll do her nervous licking, then yawn over and over again, grumble, pass gas, and finally run off. What would I do without her? :X
  • I love when my cat sneezes, which she doesn't do too often, but I love it because of the sound. It's such a cute little delicate sneeze. lol Thank goodness this involves no snot!

We call her nose "the icy cold nose of doom", because another thing she does is put her nose on someone's face in the middle of the night to wake that person up, and yeah, it's cold! She doesn't even do this for a particular reason, she's not looking for attention or anything, it seems like she just wants to bug people. lol
  • Makes me lonesome for Ms. Kitty and Jacques (my golden retriever)...

I almost want to get another pet.

• My kitty is my physical therapy aid. when i wake up in the morning i scratch my cat in all kinds of directions. my tingling, numb arms and shoulders slowly start to move.
    then kitty licks my fingers and i feel electricity flowing through my rusty bones. he's a }:) }:) }:) }:) }:) }:) real live wonderful tens unit...
    if i outlive his 9 lives i'll be lost
  • Many of you know that I lost my little buddy, Merc (aka Mercster) a couple of months ago (he's my avitar). He was the most wonderful nurse and caregiver in the world and I was totally lost when he passed. He'd been my best friend for 10 years.

Fast forward to now: We have a Corgi puppy named Wally and he's just about the cutest thing I've ever had the pleasure of being with. He's smart, sweet, funloving, playful and absolutely adorable. I don't know when I've laughed so much just watching him grow up, discovering new things and having fun. He's three months old now and the light of our lives.

I'm going through some lower back issues now and this little guy keeps me moving - I just don't have time to feel sorry for myself or give in to the pain.

Our little special friends are the best pain killers in the world, aren't they?

• This thread made me smile, and yearn for the days when our spaniel mutt, Ginger, was with us. Don't want to go into it any further, but I have a picture of her at my computer (along with my kids of course!) and every once in a while when I need a fond memory, I look at it. Pets are amazing and important members of our society, and every one of us are better people for having taken care of our tiny family members. I really wish I could get another, but I will have to wait until we can move back into a pet friendly place.

• I've posted a couple photos of my goofy dogs, they provide better "therapy" than anything else I've tried! And yes, they definitely know when I'm having a rough day (or is that "ruff" day???? =)) )

My shepherd (Jaz) will lie on the floor next to me. He's the protector & I know he's "on duty" because something's just not right.

I'd be lost without my dogs, they're as much a part of my family as my kids!