Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

reherniation after microdisectomy 5 years ago

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a mircodisectomy 5 years ago at L5-S1. Two weeks ago I reherniated the same disc while swimming. My doctor has me in physical therapy which seems to make the pain in my legs and back worse but I can move more then before. I had a nerve root block last Friday which did not work in fact the leg pain got worse. My doctor has suggested a fusion. Can they not do another microdisectomy? I am only 28 so I would think that even a disc replacement would be better then a fusion. Before my microdisectomy I led a very active lifestyle biking, running, and swimming for exercise. I would like to be able to do this again and I heard that a artifical disk would allow me to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure if my insurance will cover the artificial disc but my husband and I are willing to foot the bill if it means shorter recovery and getting an active lifesytle back.

• Hello - I had a microdiscectomy on L5-S1 in Jan 2007 and reherniated 11 months later. I spent over a year on conservative treatments, including phys therapy, cortisone shots, medications... and finally had surgery this past January. I researched disc replacement and fusion, and went with fusion (anterior) and no regrets.

I do worry about the additional pressure on the level above and that I may someday blow out that disc too. But I have had almost complete relief from the never-ending nerve pain (I still get some leg cramps). I'm staying focused on good posture, still trying to walk every day, and being very conscious of bending and lifting.

Disc replacement probably is a shorter recovery, but I was back to work in 8 weeks and felt great. I think it depends on the individual, and every surgery is a different situation. Best of luck to you, its a tough decision.
  • 2 weeks is not a lot of time to determine if anything is working. Continue with the physical therapy and let your body heal for now. It sounds like your Doctor is knife happy.