Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic upper back pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Would an MRI or an X-ray be helpful for my upper back? I injured myself boxing over two years ago. It was diagnosed as a thoracic sprain, though it has never healed properly. The pain and minor numbness/tingling occurs in the muscle between my shoulder blades and well as in the muscle below the shoulder blades. I cannot get an accurate diagnosis. My doctor thinks its muscular and my physical therapist thought it may have been a disc problem, but now thinks it may be Tendinosis. I realize asking via a website will not lead to a accurate diagnosis, but I still would like to ask and perhaps explore other avenues of treatment. Does my weight of 380 lbs play a significant role in the pain or recovery?



  • I would think that an MRI would be appropriate given the discrepencies between the physical therapist and your primary doctor. Or is it your primary doctor? Have you seen any specialists? That's where I would go next. Try getting in to see an orthopaedic specialist if you haven't already. That type of pain can be unbearable at times from what I've been told so I really do feel for you.
  • I appreciate the info. Thanks
  • i would think an xray wouldnt show them what you are looking for, i would guess a ct scan or mri.

    all doctors will start with our weights, saying that plays a part in it. i remember during the beginning of my problems it was the one thing they couldnt keep getting me on, cause i was actually underweight, so yes they will go there. but pain is pain, and ive never had xrays give them enough details - i think it may be what insurance says they have to start with - but if inconclusive they should go right to a ct/scan or mri.
  • I would think an xray and/or MRI is more than neeed after two years of unresolved pain!

    I'll tell you how I think your doctors are thinking.....they are dismissing your complaints and blaming your problem on your size. 380 pounds isn't helping the problem but probably not the cause of it. Get assertive and tell them what you want and that it is not getting better. Two years is long enough!
Sign In or Register to comment.