Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS and Pregnancy

asmithaasmith Posts: 136
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Pain Management
Hello -

I havent been here in a loooong time. I am considering finally going for the stimulator. However, I was wondering if anyone knows if I could have a successful pregnancy with the SCS? I would have this in the lumbar spine.

Any info in much appreciated, good and bad. Pros and cons.

I have had a difficult time finding the info online. I found only ONE case study.

My obgyn said he would do whatever he needs to do to make this successful, but only if my pain clinic will be on board. I dont know how my pain clinic will feel about it.

Thanks in advance.

• Under precautions they have this statement

"The safety and effectiveness of this therapy has not been established for pediatric use (patients under the age of 18), pregnancy, unborn fetus, or delivery."

• I have only been able to find one case study of a successful pregnancy.
    Hopefully my PM will be on board. My obgyn is.

• Like "C" says....

The few people I have seen post that have an SCS and want to have children later have gone with a paddle lead in the hopes that it will not move during pregnancy or childbirth. I would also guess that a Csection may be the safest way to ensure it stays put.

In reality I don't know that anyone is going to sign off and say it is all fine and dandy. However, I would suspect the biggest issue may be in the condition of the spine itself and not the SCS.
  • especially since I am lacking a vertebrae.
    obgyn agreed to deliver at 36 (given baby is healthy and ready) via csection.
    I would be on bed rest, and would have in home care.

I am fairly thin, and would have to be very diligent to remain healthy and fit during pregnancy (oh, but the milkshakes I always crave!!!).

Again, this can be shut down the min I run it by my PM, as I can not find any info online about it. One case study means that no one is really willing to do this.
    I am glad my obgyn is willing to take this journey with me, now if only I can get the pain clinic to get on board as well.

Thanks again.