Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Has anyone tried Deca for pain management for joints and back?

I have did some searching here but could not find anything. I have done a LOT of reading online the last few years and especially in a lot of exercise forums.

I have had 2 back surgeries. L3, L4 3 years ago and L5 1 year ago. Typical stories like many i have read. After the first surgery I was 95% pain free. After the last one I'm 95% than before the surgery but the 5% is still a lot and constant. I could not physically walk, sit or stand even when taking 2 750 mg vicodine, 1 valium and 1 morphine pain was near unbearable.

Doctor want to do a fusion when I am ready but I'm looking into alternatives like disk replacements.

I have had 3 sets of epidural. NONE of them ever did anything for me. 2 different doctors. Vicodine masks the pain of course.

I belong to some work out forums and over the years there has been a lot of talk about Deca-Durabolin and how it helps a LOT with joint pain. Many people claim it has made it go away 100% but most everyone says it at least helps.

It would be nice to see if anyone here has used it.

• Deca is a anabolic steroid with low androgenic properties, I have used this when I used to lift weights in my younger years. Of course its illegal but could probably be found on the net but probably would be a scam which I ran into before. My chiropracter told me that steroids actually make you weaker in the long run as it damages your joints, but of course your muscles get alot stronger. As for pain management I would say there is no way it could do anything for that.
  • Hi and welcome to our forum. Sorry we had to meet this way.

I have been going to Pain Management for several years and the doctor and I work together to see what Manages the Pain best. I've had minor back surgery back in February 2006.

Pain Management is a good place to go if you are suffering from a medically determinable impairment. Some just give the epidural shots. Others medication. Some even do both (as is the case with my doctor).

Anabolic steroids aren't the answer. As Greasy stated, they destroy the bones.

Good luck, lov! Hope you find the relief you seek and deserve!

• greasy said:
    Deca is a anabolic steroid with low androgenic properties, I have used this when I used to lift weights in my younger years. Of course its illegal but could probably be found on the net but probably would be a scam which I ran into before. My chiropracter told me that steroids actually make you weaker in the long run as it damages your joints, but of course your muscles get alot stronger. As for pain management I would say there is no way it could do anything for that.
    It's only illegal if you purchase them without a prescription. MANY professionals use this or other similar steroids for recovery.
    I'm currently running low does of Test E (testosterone) which is also illegal unless like me you have a prescription.

No not think old school where when the work steroid is used you think body building. Anyone ever take Prednisone or have an epidural??? Most of us have and those are also steroids. There are 100s of different steroids that affect you differently.

From the research I have done the last few years I believe this is something that if administered correctly, not abused could help a LOT of people.

Studies have proven that especially Deca builds the bone density and does NOT destroy it. It was MUCH more beneficial to people with osteo porosis than any of the prescription medications out there.

Steroids have a bad rap from people abusing them, not understanding how they work, using them to long and not monitoring their blood work. Face it, most doctors want to treat the symptoms, not cure the problem.

Talk to anyone on HRT and they will tell you what a god send using Test is compared to having low test levels. LOL

BTW over the course of several years I have had 3 set of epidural injections; never helped in the least bit. I have also been on different pain management prescriptions for many years and trying to use as little as possible.

My doctors said I am the exception to the rule. Most people after surgery and due to pain do less and get out of shape. I still work out 5x a week even though it HURTS. I'm in VERY good physical condition except for my back.

Steroids may not be the answer or at least not for everyone but it's defiantly one of the options.
  • Cortisol steroids are totally different than anabolic or androgenic steroids, google them, you should already know that. What are you talking about, no docter is going to prescribe deca, you might get testosterone like enanthate which is highly anabolic only if you have low testosterone levels. There of tons of side effects many I don't agree with because as you say if closely monitered chances are slim especially with deca, one of the cleanest steroids. So if your all for trying it the only place you will get it is in the gym, on the net, or over in places like holland where its legal.
  • Where have you read that Testosterone is highly anabolic? It is one of the most MILD steroids there is. BTW do most people know that the term highly anabolic means? I'm sure most pople think, Ohhh bad... LOL
    The word anabolic comes from the Greek anabolein, "to build up"

See, you make Steroids sound like it's a drug like Marijuana or Heroin the way you say it's illegal. No it's only illegal if you dont have a prescriptions the same with ANY prescription.

That's the problem, to many people are sheep and believe anything the media tells them without do any research themselves.

I know people who have prescription for Deca so your statement is incorrect about where to get it.

This discussion was supposed to be about what helps and works.
  • Your talking to a person who did steroids for fifteen years, I know what I'm talking about, in thirteen years you may too.
  • I'm not some kid that just found out about steroids, I'm 46 and knew about steroids over 28 years ago but I was smart enough to know I didn't know enough about them to take them. There is a LOT more data out there now on them and a lot more knowledge on how to use them safely if not abused.

Using Steroids and KNOWING what you are doing is different than Abusing steroids.

Did you know about PCT 13 years ago? Do you know now?

I didn't come here to argue. Obviously you have your opinion and negative feelings about steroids. Probably due to your personal abuse and misuse. That does not mean it they do not have their proper place or have healing benefits if used correctly.

Ive also been reading different exercise forums on diet, weight training and steroids for MANY years, at least 10 and have read and learned a lot about different steroids but I have never cycled. Because you have used/abused something does not make you an expert on it. No I'm not an expert but I seem to be better versed about the differences than you.
  • oh ok but your posting in the wrong forum
  • lovbytsllovbyts Posts: 3
    edited 06/15/2014 - 11:39 PM
    Just a little update after 6 years almost to the date. There are more and more doctors who are prescribing Deca along with TRT at a low dose to help with joint pain and recovery.

Myself mostly just sticking with TRT and not giving up my back is MUCH better than it was 6 years ago. I have had an extensive shoulder surgery due to years of abuse and damage but it's just another minor setback.

I spent part of last week building a retaining wall carrying over 50, 80lb blocks, walking with them from behind a house one at a time and stacking them. I have built up to this little by little of course.

Dont give up, never surrender.
    greasy said:
    oh ok but your posting in the wrong forum
    FYI I was not posting in the wrong section because the OP is the one who brought it up. :)
  • Yes Deca (Deca-Durabolin - nandrolone decanoate) is a anabolic and is NOT a anti inflammatory steroid. Deca works by causing the bersa to retain more water. In the case of back pain it spreads the discs apart and relieves the pressure on the nerves. It by itself at least in my case helps another 10-20%. Neurontin or gabapentin takes care of most of the pain. But deca does its part. I am however 44 yrs old and was already on TRT so testosterone issues were already present and not an issue that would need to be addressed. It unfortunately is not easy to get nor easy to get a Rx for.