Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

morris8790mmorris8790 Posts: 57
Hi everyone I recently started a post about how much PT before you couldn't handle it anymore. Thought I would start a new post because I have several questions. Since starting my PT I have been experiencing a lot more nerve pain in my legs along with the hot and cold sensations on my calf and foot. I am also getting severe stabbing pains in my back and when the Pt asked me to show her where I pointed exactly to the S1 area she said. This is a w/c case and my case manager was at my appt. today because I called her yesterday and told her of my symptoms getting worse like they were a couple months ago. I told them that I've not slept much the last few days because I can't lie in the bed for more than a half hour at a time again. I had sever foot drop for a few months and it had starting getting better and now its getting hard for me to hold my foot up again and I tripped over it twice yesterday. I asked them both point blank is this normal? And they could not give me a answer.... Have any of you had this happen so soon after starting therapy? I'm not sure wether to quit therapy before my symptoms get worse or try to hang in there and hope it gets better and deal with the pain. Many of you have posted that knowing when its the wrong kind on pain you should stop. And just muscle pain will ease up Well I know this is not muscle pain this is nerve pain and disc pain. And that pain received in therapy should be better by the next morning well mine is not easing up at all. Any advise would be great. Also want to mention that I was told that the therapy clinic I go to I was told they do the Mekenzie method and I found out today that they are not trained in it they just use a couple of the exercises!! And all my case manager wanted to know is am I making progress so I can go back to work light duty!!
If you made it this far thanks for reading this long post. Please any advise!!! ~X(

• i can relate to the trouble you are having as i too have taken physical therapy and then experienced more pain. every time it happened i took a break. i figured it made no sense to continue if i was getting worse. look at it this way...if you continue and get more nerve damage you've lost. better to rest....then later after you get a little better try again. Your back has many problems. it's not a simple case. don't force it.
    i had all kinds of problems with the spine and found that i just had to take it very, very easy.
    if the WC people give you a hard time you better get a lawyer so you can get other opinions and not follow the desires of the insurance co. to get you too quickly back to work.
    i hope things get better but don't push it
  • Well, if there is one thing I can say, I did physical therapy for months and I felt like it was making me worse. Causing new pain and problems. My Neuro assured me that everyone goes through this, and then one day, it's going to just feel great. I have been pain free for over 5 months until just recently since I stopped my therapy. My doctor was right. It sucked at first, then one day, the pain gradually just went away. Give it some time, take it easy, use plenty of ice, and try to stick it out. If it helps any, I cried during my sessions...
  • Thanks for the advise. I called my PCP this morning and spoke with his nurse and she said she would talk to him to see what he wanted to do just waiting to hear back. This morning I got up and took 2 steps and got a sharp pain in my back and almost dropped me to my knees. So just taking it easy now using ice and heat. My PCP thinks I need the surgery but as I stated before the surgeons think it will make my legs worse. Will keep you all posted on what I find out.
    And thanks for the advise!!
  • just my opinion but how you respond to physical therapy depends a lot on what's putting the pressure on you spinal nerves....Araine... I just read your well written history and your major problem was the disks. The physical therapy really helped you. you mentioned in history that you found improvement in 2 weeks. Disks are certainly less hard than pressure from bones. in fact i've read that a great percentage of disks get better on their own.
    With Morris's situation she has additional complications like arthritic changes in the facet joints and foramin narrowing in addition to the disk problems. The harder the material pressing on the nerves the less likely it's going to improve without intervention.
    Everyone's different but we all suffer.
    Araine..glad youre able to do your old activities again!!! :-C :-C :-C