Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What is the recovery time ALIF and PLIF fusion

MLT01MMLT01 Posts: 172
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I was wondering if someone can tell me honestly what I should expect from the ALIF and PLIF Fusion? I'm a bit nervous on this

• ALIF vs PLIF or 360 (both)? I've had a PLIF and a 360. My PLIF was 2 levels and my 360 was 1 level, but had scar tissue to go through. With my PLIF, I went back to work at 7 wks (1/2 days) and FT at 8 wks. With my 360, I'm almost 7 wks and I will be 1/2 days for 2 weeks and then FT. I could be moving faster back to work, but since it's my 2nd surgery, I'm taking my time. I've improved at about the same rate, but the 360 was worse immediately post op. Hope this helps!? Oh, about work...I'm an RN in a physician's office. I stand and sit about equally with minimal lifting.
  • Thank you for taking the time to respond!! I was just wondering how long it would be for me because I'm a mother of two children ages 6 and 4.. Not sure how limited I would be for them!!!

Thank you again
    Maria :0)
  • I had a three level fusion that was supposed to be a PLIF, but they couldn't get my discs out due to too much scar tissue. I had to stay in the hospital for four more days and have the discs removed and the interbody fusions done from the front. The recovery took at least six months - just now getting back to feeling well. If you've only got one level, you might have a much shorter recovery.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I have teenagers that can fend for themselves, but little ones will be rough. I'm sure someone will come along with younger children and give you an idea of what it's like. You will need someone to take care of them completely for your 1st week home. From there you may be able to do little things, but you won't be able to lift them until like 6 months or later. :( I know that I wasn't up for anything until about my 3rd week home.
    Hopefully you can hook up with another fusion mommy with young ones. :) Take Care!