Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

free at last, Free at last, I'm Free at last.

malawmmalaw Posts: 114
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Both my back surgeon and knee surgeons have dismissed me.
The knee doctor said the right replacement is great and the left knee is just in the beginning stages. I probably have 2 to 3 years before we have to do much to it and 5 until surgery.

The back surgeon said that my back had enough bone and all the screws, rods and Leggos were in place. I do still use my Empi when I do something stupid and am still taking 1/2 Vicodin or so when I have pain. So the doctor said that unless or until I have lots more problems with my neck or the rest of my back I am through with him. NO resrictions, except "if it hurts, don't do it".

This site has been wonderful for me, with lots of sympathy and ideas of what to expect. Any way for all of you still expecting surgery or getting over surgery. There is lots of hope. I

• Awesome news - very happy for you. What level did you have fused? What procedure? You must be very satisfied managing with only 1/2 vicodin when you have pain. I finally came to the realization today that surgury my best chance - been fighting for about a year now. I just posted - L5/S1 Fusion (TLIF) here I come.

All the best to you, Mike
  • Glad everything is OK. It's a great feeling isn't it
    Best of luck to you.
  • I'm glad to hear you're feeling so well. I hope you get a good long run before you need to have anything else done.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I had L4-S1 fusion on June 9,2008. I got 6 screws, 2 rods and 4 "Leggos" (cages). It was a fairly rough year at work, but fortunately I have a job where I can sit when I need to or walk around (I'm the In-School Suspension director for my school district - all levels). So that helped. Also there was the fact that I have a fairly high pain threshold and Vicodin doesn't make me groggy or too sleepy.
    I did come home and lay down for an hour after work and took a whole pill at bedtime. And of course, did as little work as possible. All my children wanted was DeliCat and to go to bed with me for loving. (Have three cats). Was also lucky that my daughter lives in town and helped with bringing stuff in from car and trash out. Her only fee -no surgery this year - she needed a summer off from playing nursemaid. She does still help bring stuff in got me. I carry 2 gallons of water at a time out to my garden of 5 tomatoes and 5 bell peppers and an overflow of flowers.
    I do understand that I am lucky to be dismissed this early, but have to give my dr. a lot of credit.
    I did use an external bone growth stimulator for 4 months - 4 hours a day. Wish I knew how to pass it on to someone else.
    Hope you'll have good luck.
  • I'm so happy to read this!

I too am looking at my final post surgery neuro appointments :) Just one snag - might have to get the hardware out - but I'll cross that bridge when I'm forced to and not one moment sooner!

I have to say that seeing an end in sight (well, a several year break, at the very least) is so blessedly wonderful - congrats on making it!
  • So good to see someones success on this site. You are a very lucky person...
    What was the back surgery for if you don't mind me asking?