Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Not sure how to help

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Lower Back Pain
Well my boyfriend JUST had surgery yesterday. I believe it was a bilateral diskectomy on his lumbar region. The thing is, I am freaking out. We just got home today and I feel totally useless and horrible because he is in so much pain. He has been prescribed Oxycodone and he has been taking it since yesterday and he says that he still feels pain. Is that something that has to get into your system or does it work right away? He has a temp 100.6 and I am scared, but I know that 101 is the magic #. I have tried talking to his nursing staff when he was in the hospital and the Doc post-surgery...NOTHING. No one came to show him how to get up properly how to sit, lay down, acceptable positions to sleep in. Can he use heat or cold on his area. I am pretty much flying blind. I feel like a mother or a new born with no one to turn to. Any help will be greatly appreciated. OK I am off to cry in the bathroom so he cannot hear me.

Laura :SS

• i really feel bad with your situation. the dr. and hospital should have given you better advice.
    I would call your Dr. and have a visiting nurse familiar with these situations sent asap to give advice and check out the fever.
    It doesn't sound like anything that's out of control. Most people have pain for many months after back surgery. Keep an eye on the fever. Get him to hospital if it goes over 101.
    Tell nurse painkiller isn't doing it and nurse will converse with dr. for either a different med or an increased dose.
    As for position have him get in most comfortable position for him. It might be on his back or on his side. It might be with one pillow or two. Sometimes a pillow in between legs helps if youre on your side.
    stay calm....easy for me to say!
    There's always someone here to listen so keep us posted...
  • The bad thing is that the hospital and doc are about an hour away and we are already home. We were just discussing our next course of action and we are going to monitor the temp(I can be anal) and if the meds are still not working I am going to call them tomorrow if need be I will take him to an ER. Thank you for your help, it feels better to know that I am not alone and that there are folks out there who actually know about this and can help me from going coo coo for coco puffs.
  • Well as of 2000 hrs his temp is down one degree. I left him sleeping upright in our bed while I have made a nice little hotel room with our air mattress in the living room. I plan on giving him his 2130 dose of meds, then try and sleep longer then 2 hours tonight. The dog is with me in the living room, he is not very considerate. He has a tendency of stepping on us while we sleep. We cannot have now can we. Fingers are crossed and the walkie talkie is turned on. G'night. I)
    Thank you Pete
  • Hi Laura, I had a 2 level diskectomy last year and It is very painful. I laid on my side and only got up when I needed to use the rest room. Then I got a drink or food and went right back to bed. The most painful part is getting up and down out of bed. The surgery cut in to muscles in your back and those muscles are felt almost everywhere. I wasn't advise to use heat or cold packs after that surgery. I was advised to call the doctor with any temp over 101. As for the pain meds I would take them 1 hour earlier until they help. I think I was on Norco after my operation. Not sure but I don't think his meds are strong enough especially if he is a big guy. I did learn that the more I got up the easier it became. So tell your boyfriend that for me please. The pain pills will not take all the pain away they only reduce the pain he has too. Sleep is the best medicine also. when your sleeping you don't seem to be as miserable. After a week the pain should be cut in half then after 2 weeks down another 50 percent. In the future he will always have some degree of pain depending on his lifestyle and job of course. My back hurts when it rains or when its humid, also when I sit too long. I use heat now after over a year since surgery. I also get in my pool and that is a great help. My surgeon put me in aqua therapy after the incision healed enough to get in the water. good luck hun.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
This discussion has been closed.