Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bone Growth Stimulator?

alcbaalcb Posts: 140
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm almost 7 weeks post 360. I spoke to my OS about an external bone growth stimulator. He said he's never used one, and most of the OS's he knows doesn't use them either. He told me he would look into one, and see if it would be appropriate for me. (I've had 2 surgeries in a year and a half....I would think so!) What experiences have you had with one? Did it work? Was it covered by insurance? Was it easy to wear? How long per day, and in total do you have to wear it? How soon post op did you start? Since he doesn't have experience...I'm kinda on my own. Thanks! -Andrea

• I had a Lumbar Fusion L2-S1 with Laminectomy on 5/5/09. I also have nerve damage to left foot but it is slowly coming back. I've spent 8 days in a Rehab hospital and just completed 3 weeks of physical therapy. I'll start aquatic therapy next week. I have been using the bone stimulator since the second week post op. It was covered by my insurance. It is very easy to wear and I use it for 4 hours a day and then recharge the battery for the next day. I wear it over my brace which I must wear when I'm out of bed. When it was given to me they said it was good for 9 months but I don't know if I'll be wearing it that long. The 2 follow up visits to my surgeon show that some fusion is occuring already. I'll be in the back brace for another 5 weeks for sure. I think I'm progressing well but it is difficult doing some tasks with the brace and not being able to bend. I'm not complaining though because I feel like I made the right decision having the surgery. Before my spinal stenosis was so bad that I could hardly walk. I'm walking slow and aided with a walker for now, but I don't feel the pain in my back that I did before.
    Best of luck to you and I hope this will help answer some of your questions.
  • I had ALIF at L5-S1 and ADR at L4-L5 with Pro-disc on May 11th. I got a bone growth stimulator on my 2 week appointment. I have to wear it all the time.It is comfortable, patches on each side of the spine with wires that connect to the battery pack. My SS said I could have to wear it as long as 6 months depending on how the bone is growing. I wear a corset which is more of a pain in the a** for the velco rubs my skin raw.Will be able to throw it in the trash after my appointment on July 10th.Im doing great!!! Before the sugery I was homebound, couldn't drive or leave the house because of the nerve damage in my legs was so bad. I am walking over a mile a day now and have no pain in my legs. Surgery was the best thing I ever did. Wish I did it back in 2002 when they fist suggested it.Good Luck!!!

39 yr. old mother of 5 Children, 20,19,14,14,9
    Lumbar strains: 1995, 1997, 1998

Major injury: 2002, 2 herniated disc w/tears, DDD, Spinal Stenosis, Major nerve damage in both legs.

Treatments included: Celebrex, Bextra, Ralaphin, Flexril, Naproxin, Motrin, Ultram, Steroid injections, Nerve Blocks, Physical Therapy, Aqua Therapy, specific exercise regimen, loss of 70 lbs.

Surgery: May 2009 ALIF of L5-S1 with titanium cage and 4 screws, no bone,Pro-Disc at L4-L5

Current Meds: Vicadin 5mg/500, daily aspirin, calcium supplement, senicot, bone growth stimulator

• Andrea -

Chris' spine surgeon didn't ever use bone stimulators either ...it must be something with the docs where you live!! When Chris still hadn't fused at 8 months are local OS ordered one for him saying what did we have to lose at that point. On the last CT he had fused posteriorly but not anteriorly (at the cage). Who knows if that was due to the stimulator or more time???

The Spinelogic is worn externally 30 minutes a day (at about the same time everyday) and is compfortable. If you need the name & number of our rep, please let me know and I am sure he can hook you up with his counterpart in NC. Insurance covered Chris', minus the coinsurance.