Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long to you can sit normally????

Sweetpotatoe57SSweetpotatoe57 Posts: 97
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Can anyone tell me how long it takes to sit normally after back surgery. I had a laminectomy and foramonatomy at L5 S1 5 months ago, and still can't sit normally. It kills to get up from sitting, and it hurts to sit. I can only sit 20 to 30 minutes at a time, then I am done. I can't go anywhere, as I have to stand, then my legs get really tired, etc. It just seems that I should be able to sit much better. I know the nerves take forever to heal, but I just thought I would be able to sit better by now. I had no hardware, and my back keeps making snapping sounds. Does anyone have this?? The Dr. said it is nothing to worry about, but at times it hurts. I see him in July, as my PT is finished, and I am so worried. Is this permanent? I think, "what if I can never sit again". Is this something that just takes time?? Please, if anyone has had this, or heard of this before, let me know! Thanks sweetpotatoe57
advertisement

Comments

• When I saw the topic of your post I said to myself, "sit normally? Does that ever happen?" At any rate, while sitting comfortably seems to be a thing of the past for me, it sounds as though you have more going on in there than just the discomfort caused by having had back surgery. Have you been back to the doctor to discuss this problem? Do you have pain down your legs? I'd have it checked out. In the meanwhile, get yourself a wedge (higher toward your butt, lower in the front) to sit on, or try a Back Joy. You can get the Back Joy at Bed, Bath and Beyond. It's like a little scoopy to put your butt in -- an orthotic, not a cushion. My cousin who is a nurse recommended it, and I thought she was nuts. It really helps me. I can drive for over two hours with it. Without it, I get to the city limits and I'm writhing in pain. If you take those 20% coupons with you, it wouldn't be that expensive and is surely worth the chance.

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I do have pain that is back in the back of my left thigh. The PT says I have a SI joint issue, but now it has spread into my right side. We have a Bed Bath and Beyond here, so I will check it out. I think the whole swelling thing going on scares me, not the Dr. though. He said sitting was the last to come back, and I am wondering, how long is to long to wait. I have had many improvements, but the butt pain, and sit pain really have me depressed. sweetpotatoe57
  • My experience was that once I was about 2 or 3 months post op I could sit comfortably for up to an hour. The key for me was walking, stretching and core stabilization exercises.

"C"
  • I do walking and I think way to many stretches! What kind of stretches, and core do you do? I do the hamstrings, piriformis, obturator, pelvic tilts, and walk, walk, walk!! Can you stretch to much?? I also do adductor stretches, but they tend to flare things up. So, not sure what to do next. Any suggestions? I am going to check out the bed, bath, and beyond esteller! sweetpotatoe57
  • I think you need a new MRI. It just doesn't seem right that after 5 mos. you still have no ability to sit for longer than 1/2 hour. I'm at 3 mos. and can sit for much longer. I DO still have sciatic pain that I really want ended, but it is much better than before surgery. Please get looked at. I hate that you may need more help, but it is possible that an ESI will end your pain. Hugs...
  • I am 5 months post and I still can't sit/stand/walk as long as a "normal" person. Healing is different for everyone, but you should make sure your surgeon is aware of your problems. Be persistent. It took my surgeon 4 months to take me seriously... but only when I had finally given up, did he see the light.
  • Everyone is different. For me I have no problem sitting before or after surgery, it was one of the few things I could do, except before the last surgery when I blew out L5, I could do NOTHING before except lay on the floor in pain. I could not even sit on the camode for more than 30 sec, really.... :(

After my last surgery I also had no problem with sitting for hours on end.
advertisement