Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery 6/17 Update

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I had my surgery on WED. and I am home from the hospital today. I had to deal with a fever and low blood presser. Had to get 2 pints of blood, but I am doing OK now fever is gone and the extra blood brought up my blood presser.

I was not prepared for the pain that came afterwards, it was pretty intense there for a couple days. But now that I have been up moving around and I have some good pain meds I seem to be doing OK.I was having more pain down my Right leg, it would go from my hip socket down to my toes. I was told this would get better as time goes by.

I really hope this is true, well I will update this post as time goes by. Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

• O:) Glad to hear from you and that you are home and more relaxed now that you have pain meds. Take good care of yourself and let your family and friends pamper you for a while while you recuperate. Time to break out all the DVD's you haven't watch in a while or kick back with some books or magazines.

Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

• I had an ALIF L4/5 last July, then a PLIF L3-5 in December and I can't imagine having it all at one time. The ALIF wasn't as painful as the PLIF to me, but more cumbersome as far as getting around. And I have to say both were painful. I hurt so bad right after surgery, I tried to come up out of the bed until they put the pump on me with both surgeries. After getting home, I took pain meds around the clock. The mornings were the worst since the surgery incisions would just be terribly sore and stiff. I hope you have lots of pillows for propping up your knees, arms, sides, however you can sleep. Girl, I feel for you and hope you do well now. Keep a watch on both incision sites. I peroxided mine after showers and then used a hair dryer on low and cool to make sure they were completely dry. I still had a couple of spots on my stomach that didn't heal, but my back did fine, altho, I still leaked some fluid a few times and had to wear bandages for a good month and a half afterwards. I'm slightly overweight, so I think that makes more fluid gather up.

Good luck and keep posting on your progress. I'm 5 days out from an ACDF C5/6 now plus bone spurs removed. Seems like the fun just never ends. I worry too much and try to stay up on what should be going on and how I relate, but I have to remember everyone's different.

• I didn't have to do the front, He only did it through the back. I have 3 incisions on my lower back. I was sooooo glad he wasn't going through the front & back. This hurts enough!And this wonderful brace is a nice addition to your wardrobe, hope you are feeling better too. and yes I will keep posting.