Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spot on head painful to touch

sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
edited 02/04/2016 - 3:18 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical

Has anyone ever had this? I have a spot a couple of inches above my left ear that is painful anytime I touch it. It feels about the size of a quarter. There's no bruise or anything. I've had this for well over a month. Can it be from the neck??? I think I'm losing it.

advertisement

Comments

• Not sure, but sometimes when I touch certain parts of my head it will hurt. Not all the time, but yeah :(
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Thanks. Maybe I'm not crazy. It hurts at that one spot even when combing my hair or just running my fingers through my hair. I had an mri of my brain last August because of headaches and it was normal. I'm thinking maybe a nerve or something?
  • I have a "thing" every once in a while, where a part of my scalp becomes hot to touch, and then I get shooting pains through that area (scalp only, not inside head), when this happens, it hurts to touch it. A LONG time ago, a doctor told me it was a virus and to take aspirin. It's really weird, but aspirin actually works.

Anyway, that's my story, but it doesn't sound like what you are going through. Did you ask your dr about it?

Feel better! >:D<
    I appreciate any suggestions. I didn't ask my doctor about it. I was going to but he already thinks I'm crazy so I decided not to. I'll try the aspirin. Thanks.
    I can't figure this out. Does occupital neuralgia (sp?) cause something like this? That just hurts when I touch it? Can it be caused by my neck problems? I tried the aspirin and it doesn't help. Any ideas?
  • Hi sunny,

Occasionally, I'll notice a spot on my scalp which hurts when I touch it. It's about the size of a fifty-cent piece and feels like it's been bruised even though I know it hasn't (think I'd remember hitting my head, lol). It might last a day or two and then happen again weeks or months later. Never gave it much thought and never paid attention to whether it's always in the same location. Just assumed it's one of those weird things which I'm prone to experience that nobody else has ever heard of, lol. Glad to know I'm not alone! #o

Sorry, don't know about occipital neuralgia.
    Linda

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • You would think it has to be nerve related, I don't understand why the doctors can't diagnose it. :?

At times like this, don't you wish you could go see Dr House? =))

But seriously, do you have any other symptoms in other areas of your skin, like burning, stinging, or crawling?

I wish I could help :(

Keep your head up, and maybe you just need to keep bugging your doctors until they finally decide it's just easier to figure it out than listen to you :D

>:D<
    No you're not alone. I have some crazy 'conditions' at times. If I've ever had something like this before I don't remember. At least I know that someone else has had it too.
    Thanks.

Debbie
    Thanks. I haven't asked the doctor about this. I meant to when I saw him last month but I didn't want to bother with it. I've been trying to stay away from the doctors office lately until I can catch up on some bills...that's enough to give me a headache. lol. If it doesn't feel better and if I can't improve this depression I'm in, I am going to go though. I'm usually pretty stable mentally (no one who knows me would agree) but lately I've had thoughts that worry even me. I just feel bad because we're in a tight spot financially that's mainly because of my doctor bills. You know? We have insurance but our part adds up. Thanks for listening.

Debbie
  • Hi sunny, I have a spot by my left ear that is bothering me too, I asked my surgeon about it at post op and it said the nerves are sensitive there because they put my head in a medical halo during surgery. I should have the symptoms on both sides but I don't. It's hard to explain how it feels. he said the anti inflams i can start taking again will help that because it will reduce the inflammation around the nerve endings. The thing with anti inflams is you have to keep them in your system every day like a maintenance drug. you may think it doesn't help but they do. I know this because i had to stop taking them before my operation and I thought i was miserable before surgery, after I had stop taking the anti inflams my pain level was severe in stead of miserable. So any improvement or less pain is worth it in my opinion. Hope this helps. :)
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
    Hi and thanks. I hope you're doing well after your surgery. You're right, any improvement in pain is worth it!
    How are you feeling?

Debbie
  • how old are u ? my mum is in her 80's but she had the same tenderness on her head along with headaches. we made her get her eyes tested and they referred her to hosp. amazing what they can find out from your eyes. anyway i am NOT saying u have the same thing but she had temperal artiritis not to be confused with arthritis. she has since lost the sight in one eye because of this.AGAIN dont want to frighten u but an eye check is a great tool.
    do u have any other symptoms ? she said she could see halos around things and silver flashing light.
    early detection can stop things getting worse and a long course of steriods is all that is needed to help.sorry if i have scared u, u prob NOT got this i had never heard of it and i work in the medical field
    You haven't scared me. Thanks for the suggestion.

I am 42 and I had a complete eye exam a few months ago. I have borderline glaucoma so I did have a fairly extensive exam. They do say that I have plaque buildup in the arteries in my eyes...don't really understand what that is. I always had perfect vision until a couple of years ago and my doctor put me on Spiriva (for emphysema) and it seemed like I lost my vision overnight. Then after I'd argued him for three years that I didn't have emphysema he finally sent me for a pulmonary function test and I passed it with flying colors! The tech said I had no signs of emphysema! So the dr told me I could stop the med but my vision didn't improve.
    I will read up on that though. I appreciate you trying to help me figure this out. Any suggestions are welcome...and solutions!
    Thanks, Debbie
  • I've got the same kind of pain. Even have tenderness on my left eye brow & cheek bone.

Having some molars pulled soon and am hoping they are the cause of the pain. Make sure you get checked out by a dentist!

jas
  • sunny1966 said:
    Hi and thanks. I hope you're doing well after your surgery. You're right, any improvement in pain is worth it!
    How are you feeling?

Debbie
    hi debbie, Well its been 2 1/2 weeks and the surgery pain is much better. My trap muscles behind neck are still very painful. I thought i be going back to work after 2 weeks but now its 4 weeks. I sleep a lot and swim a lot. Anything else that gets done is a mystery each day. I do very little and read on this forum a lot. Thanks for asking!
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    It usually takes longer than planned doesn't it? Take it easy and don't rush it. Is it normal for those muscles to be like that after surgery? I'm sure it'll just take time.
    I see that you had a bunionectomy too. I had a bunionectomy and osteotomy in 06 and the hardware and a mortons neuroma removed in 07. It's not as easy as it sounds is it?
    Debbie
    I've been wondering if it could be connected to some molars that I had pulled in Feburary. It doesn't seem like it though. I know I have had dental problems that caused headaches. I hope having yours removed will take care of your pain. Yesterday I did a lot of bending over trimming some shrubs and my head would throb in that spot but so far this morning it doesn't hurt as much to touch. Hope it stays that way. Who knows??
    Hope you have a great weekend.
    Debbie
  • Neither surgery was easy. Today was a rough day I am very sore from all the swimming. I am exhausted too. My doctor says rome wasn't built in a day lol when I get impatient. I suppose he is right on this one.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    I know how it is though. I'm a very impatient patient too. Cause myself a lot of pain by being stubborn..or thats what my family tells me. I hope you don't overdo it too much. Take care and have a nice day.
  • Thanks sunny. I will not over do it, I havent even got dressed today. I have this fatigue feeling and I am really stiff and spasms are intense. I think I'll find a movie to watch so I'll stay out of trouble.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
  • Hello I have always had pain in my body my upper lower back left leg numbness in my arm and hands sometimes and left leg gave out on me few years back.and been dealing with it.on top of that i have had this sore spot in the middle of my head that never goes away it sore to touch nothing like a headache.i cant touch it comb it.and it feels to be more sore and pain past few days.anyone ever had this im sort of scared.
    Brendarandles
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 4,752
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!

moderator, ~~savage

• taleenakochttaleenakoch WASHINGTONPosts: 1
    I have 3 spots on my scalp that are sore to the touch.  One is sore all the time.  The other two are not always sore to the touch.  I have headaches that seem to start in those areas.  I had an MRI (brain - with and without contrast) and nothing was found on the MRI to indicate why the soreness.  One spot is located on the right side, above my ear and toward the back.  Another spot is about the same area on the left.  The one that is sore all the time is right above where my hairline meets my forehead, pretty much up from my right eye.
advertisement