Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ALIF scheduled for July 13

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone. I am scheduled to have ALIF surgery on July 13. I am a little anxious about the pain and recovery afterwards. Especially since I am ver overweight. (about 100lbs overweight) I had started WW's and had lost about 30 lbs but since hurting my back and not being very mobile, I haven't been able to lose much more.
I know this is a kind of personal question...but has anyone who is significantly overweight had the surgery and if so how was your outcome. I can not live like this any more and I am looking forward to what will hopefully be a new start on life in about 3 weeks. I am mostly worried about my physical condition hindering the surgery and/or recovery.
Any advise or experiences with this surgery would be greatly appreciated.
I wish everyone who has had/will have surgery, a quick recovery.

• Hi and welcome! I have not had any surgery on my neck, so I can't share with you there, but I was and am (about 50 lbs) overweight since before my TLIF in January. It's hard to lose weight when you are feeling bad. As for outcome, I'm not doing too well fusing, but I really can't say if weight has anything to do with this current situation.

Of course, if we lose the weight we will feel better, and recovery will be easier, but I don't really think it can affect the outcome (again, I'm not a doctor, so I don't know for sure.)

Have you asked your surgeon about this? If not, and you are concerned, you should bring it up prior to surgery. Maybe he can put your mind at ease.

In the mean time, think positive thoughts and know that soon it will be over, and you will finally be on the road to recovery.

As for weight loss, once you feel better, losing will be much easier.

Good luck! >:D<
  • Hey Kat. Thanks for the info. I am having surgery on my back as well, not neck. (L5/S1 fusion)
    I am sorry you are still in a lot of pain and it's not fusing well. Here's hoping you get some relief,fusion AND SSDI!
    Take care.

• oops, I read it as "ACDF" =))