Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Discectomy and artificial disc replacement

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am scheduled to have a discectomy and artificial disc replacement on July 10. It is for my C5/C6. I have spinal cord compression with alot of nerve pain down my left arm. My thumb and part of my hand is completely numb with pins and needles. I have what I call travelling pain, sometimes it is my elbow, sometimes my shoulder, sometimes my wrist and hand. Anyway, is anyone familiar with this surgery? What should I expect after I wake up? Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated as I am quite nervous.

• I am up for one or fusion next month. Mine is at C3/4. ADR has been around for 15 years in Europe and 5 here. Make sure your surgeon rules out facet arthritis because it this sometimes can manifest with ADR.

Here's a ton of ADR info. Do not dwell on the bad outcomes because I hear from my Nerosurgeon its running 93% success rates!

We'll get fixed up same time frame. Keep in touch.
  • yea im ready for surgery also..

what do you think is really worse facet arthritis from extra movement from an ADR or more disc problems from adjacent level DDD from fusion?... one thing to consider is that once the ADR goes in the facet joints will have more room to move with less rubbing. Its a hard call. Another thing to consider is that if an ADR does not feel good on your facets that you can always take it out and have it fused. But if you have it fused you miss the chance of ever giving an ADR a try?
  • Well I have never heard of facet arthritis. I just know I won't have a fusion unless it is the last chance I have. My mother had a very bad experience with a back fusion and I watched what it did to her, it would be highly unlikely I would ever agree to one. Fear I guess, but it is hard to get past. I have heard good things about ADR, quicker recovery, more normal movement etc. I guess I am just anxious and would like to know about experiences anyone else has had. This is all a very sudden occurence for me. I have not had a problem with my neck at least none I was aware of. The pain was so severe in the beginning that I couldn't stop crying. Every time I coughed, walked or even breathed deeply the "electric" shock would reverberate down my left arm. I really hope to get back to normal after this surgery. Just nervous, you know?
  • I know how you feel...I just wish i could understand the spine better it is so complex..
  • Well my surgery is this coming Friday. I got some good news, my insurance will cover it. The Neurosurgeon's office called to tell me they received a letter from them stating they deem it necessary so they will cover it. That takes a load off of my mind. I am still somewhat nervous though, and the funny thing is I think I am more nervous about the IV than I am the actual surgery. :)
  • DeniseT what kind of disc is the doc going to use ????
  • I am not sure. All I know is it is made of Titanium and looks like a clear plastic of some sort. It looks like a regular disc only (obviously) artificial. I am very nervous, but have been told that the procedure has a 93% success rate. That is good.
  • DeniseT said:
    I am not sure. All I know is it is made of Titanium and looks like a clear plastic of some sort. It looks like a regular disc only (obviously) artificial. I am very nervous, but have been told that the procedure has a 93% success rate. That is good.
    there is alot of diffrent ADR being used right now..try to find out which kind he will use..

If it was me I would want to know..I hear some are better then others..just curious..

Best of luck though...I also would like my C5-C6 replaced..
  • Well my surgery is over and I came home yesterday. I am very uncomfortable and still have pain in my arm and numbness in my hand. Is that going to go away? That is after all the reason I had the surgery. Coughing is torture and swallowing is hard. Other than that I seem to be doing ok, mostly just muscle aches.
  • Your pain should start to calm down but you still have a lot of inflammation in your neck and it will be hurting for a while.Once the nerves were unloaded they swell up for a bit before they start to heal.Try and eat mushy foods until your throat is feeling better.I was told to get a throat spray to help with the soreness after surgery but i never had the pain inside my throat or trouble swallowing.Like something you would buy if you had a sore throat from a cold with an anesthetic in it.I had titanium put in my neck as well and once the pain started to subside i had full range of motion in my neck.My surgeon did three levels.
  • Hi i had 2 rear end accidents 06/07,November 08 had op and was in for 5 days i had c5/c6 c6/c7 replaced with artificial,and fused together with a plate.reason for op 2discs bulging trapping nerve down left arm. i seem to be recovering okay my arm was relieved with pain straight away but as the months have gone on my stiffness never went copleatly now i have pain in my left side of neck and shoulder going down my left arm again im okay if i rest and do nothink apart from the constant ache i have but if i stand to do the smallest of jobs like bending down to get summat out fridge its agony again i am back under physio again and waiting for another mri scan its ruining my life i need it sorting.
  • Two level herniations causing pain and major numbness in left and right arms. Left side worse, sleep with arm over head. Insurance only approved one level ARD stating 2nd level is "experimental." Any suggestions on going through with only one level - c5-c6 ADR?
  • Pre-op is scheduled for 9/2 with surgery on 9/9.
    Concerned that only one level may not be sufficeint.
    Anyone else out there have surgery for ADR on one level when doc requested 2 but insurance denied?
    If so, was pain reduced or aggravated?