Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Mgmt w/heart disease

EMS GuyEEMS Guy Posts: 920
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Pain Management

I have a question for anyone who requires pain medication and suffers from heart disease.

My PM currently has me taking Darvacet N100 and Lortab 7.5 for breakthrough. I had a two level fusion done in January 2007. I had some pain relief, but it's been back for a while now.

Unfortunately, the Darvacet really isn't doing a good job and I don't want to take the Lortab unless I have to. I figure I'm 42 yrs old and have a long way to go with pain management as I grow older.

To top things off, I had a ballon angiogram with stent placement in January of this year. My Cardiologist will not allow me to take NSAIDS (can cause further heart complications).

What medications have heart patients been prescribed that aren't NSAIDS that have worked well? Like I said earlier, I don't want to take really strong stuff. The last thing I need is to get a tolerance built up for a medication at a half way early age.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2

• Sorry to hear that. Ha, tho, the diet of a paramedic probably caused your heart disease and should be work comp too! :)

Don't really have much to say here, just giving a shout out to another "oldie." One question-maybe your PM shud think about referring you to get your hardware out, maybe it would help with the pain??? Just thinking maybe if that pain generator was addressed(whatever it is) it might help with the pain med issue.
  • Hi Angie!

Yep, my diet should be better, but eating right isn't in the cards during work hours (as I'm sure you know!)

I think the hardware is causing part of my problem. However, WC requires the surgeon to say that removing the hardware will lead to pain reduction. My NS won't make that statement since there is no way to know for sure. I'm sure if I push the issue, he may do it, but I'm afraid I'll open pandora's box with WC if it doesn't relieve my pain. Plus, my PM belives the pain is being caused by my muscles around the fusion site. Since they did a laminectomy and shaved off part of my pedicle bones, he thinks the structural changes has just really ticked off my muscles. I know I get knotted up pretty easily. And I hate muscle relaxers. All they do is make me tired. That's the last thing I need!

How are you doing these days?

• Keith,
    Although for most part I would say that you heart health is more important and it would make taking PM meds immaterial and the suggestion is that stents are the precursor of more invasive heart procedures. The best option would be to ask the heart consultant what he recommends are suitable alternatives, and the food aspect is now more important to keep your Bp and cholesterol level in the appropriate range. You could eat your way back to the heart ward and that choice is yours alone and up to you. Although both these issues overlap it is important to have a collective strategy and coronary health it would seem has the priority. I have witnessed at close hand the implication in surmising that waiting or not being proactive is an option and it was shocking to see.

My symptoms have not waned even with the three stents and it is likely my ischemic heart disease will not improve in the foreseeable future.

I wish you good heart health and take care.

John one spray or two !

• Aw heck, Keith, just tell work comp you'll take an ASA a day and get a picc line for IV morphine to reduce the workload on your heart! Just kidding of course, well, sort of. :)
  • Actually Angie, I thought of becoming famous so I can have a pharmacy on retainer...Ala Carte medication seems to be the way to go.

My PM and Cardiologist have switched my meds all around. I don't think my Grandmother took as many drugs when she died at 85 years old from a heart attack.

My diet is getting better. I've switched to buffalo meat instead of ground meat or steak. I highly recommend it. More lean than chicken with other benefits as well. I can't give up meat though. I did that after surgery and was hungry all the time.

I have an appt. with PM in a couple of weeks, so I'll rap with him about it.