Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

nervous about upcoming surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone , I just wanted to say that I am getting
nervous about my fusion surgery on L5 S1 on june 30
I had fusion surgery on L3 & L4 about 11 Years ago
The surgery went well but I started having pain
about 3 or 4 years later I stayed off the pain meds
but found myself drinking more than i should
Ive tryed chiropractor,pt,steroid shots,massage,acupuncture
all to not much help
I went in to my ortho surgeon 3 weeks ago & after a mri
He said I needed another surgery,But after reading alot of
everybodys comments it looks like it doesnt end up too
well after surgery I really dont want to go through
surgery again without any relief afterwards,I also
had staff infection after first surgery
I know its up to me but I just felt like talking about
thanks for listening

• I'm only 4 days out from mine and feel like it was one of the best things I've done for myself ever. I was so scared my family thought I was going to run out the hospital while waiting and I was crying on the way to the OR. I knew I was going to wake up in horrible pain....I was wrong. I woke up joking with my nurse for wearing a rival teams scrub cap, was able to get from my stretcher to my bed with only a hand from him and didn't even have to get any pain meds until that evening. The pain I had from my disc was far worse than anything I have felt from the surgery. I was home the next day, been walking up and down my street, no infection and I feel like I have a new chance at real life. The only bad thing I've had is the sore throat from the tube and waiting for everything in the tummy to get workin again. Alot has changed over the years with procedures so hopefully you won't have to go through that experience again.
  • You've got to remember everyone and every situation is different...For some people surgery is the best answer and for some it just doesn't work out. Everyone's back problems are different even if it is the same disc's...Some people's problems get worse and for some it is a life saver!!!!So just hang in there and maybe talk with your surgeon about your fears.....
  • My surgery (either bi-level ACDF or ADR at C5/6 and Foraminotomy C6/7)is July 7 and I can't sleep already. I find myself obsessively looking everything up online. At this point I feel like I could do the surgery myself! But the comments on this thread and in the rest of the forums have been very helpful and most are very positive about results so it does ease the anxiety a bit, so thanks to everyone! :)))
  • Thanks for the encouragement
    good luck with your recovery I will keep you
    posted on mine
  • Thanks jeanette
    I hope you get some relief soon
    thanks for the encouragement
    it helps
  • When you come to these forums and read the posts, please keep in mind that many people who have had successful surgeries leave because they no longer need the support that is provided here. They've moved on to their normal lives and don't visit very often, if at all.

So many new members don't realize this and think that surgery must be a nightmare because of all the negative posts. There are many, many successful surgeries out there and your chances of having one is greater than you think.

Take care.
  • Thanks cath that made more sense to me
    than anything ive heard
    I really appreciaate the reply you have
    made me feel better
    beautiful dog by the way
  • Mark, we will all be here for you when you return. And Cath is absolutely 100 percent right. =D> If you stay here even a week, you will read posts of people leaving the forums because, hey, they have a life to live. However, there are a few that stop back by now and again to lend support. <:P And I know this to be a fact even though I have been a member a short time. So take what you read here with a grain of salt, like anything you read on any forum. What you see here that has some "negativity" is probably something like (pulling a number out of a hat here) 5% of surgical outcomes. If it was any more than that, I would eat my underwear. :sick:

Good luck and keep us posted! >:D<
  • cath thanks for the support
    good luck to you tu
  • i too had tears rolling down my face going into OR. but the things i was worried about the most are not a big problem for me that is. My trouble swollening wasn't easy for the first few days, from what i read from other people it lasted weeks, and could only eat soft foods. i have been eating popcorn, chips, hamburgers, etc. i did fix some jello yesterday, and kept ice cream in the house, for it is soothing, but nothing like i expected. i prepared myself for the worst, but not as bad as i anticipated. don't get me wrong, i am not out of pain, but i cannot expect to be pain free from such a major surgery. after the weird things i have happen to me the last 1 1/2 yrs. i always expect quirky things to happen to me. so you see mark , i had a dear friend always tell me what is the worst that can happen, and if i am better than that, that's a good thing! i don't know if that helps, but there are so many people with life threatening diseases and such that are suffering, but ours is mostly physical that can be either controlled with medication, or surgery. i have my good days, and bad days where all i do is cry. but keep your chin up, #:S ha ha , it is not easy for us cervical spineys. ;) take care and good luck with your surgery. always LEO

• thanks leo
    i really appreciate your words

• thanks leo
    i really appreciate your words

• I was really nervous when I had my prior surgeries come up, and it's happening a little bit with the upcoming one as well. It's nothing compared to a fusion and I understand how it's like to prepare for it.

My family was with me in the preop room and they were goofing around, trying to lighten up the mood. Then the nurse came in and injected something in my IV which I suspected was a sedative. I'm glad I got it because it really calmed me, and I didn't freak out when they said it was TIME. What always gets me is all the equipment in the OR. Thankfully you won't be awake long enough to take inventory.

I'm sure it will go well for you and I hope all the advice here has helped you. I don't know what I would have done without SH to lean on. We are here for you, and will be thinking of you and praying that your surgery is a success. Take care >:D<
  • I think it's very normal for us to be in fear of surgery - especially one of this level. I'm so thankful my family was allowed to be with me, and I had many friends and church folks praying for me that made me feel good - that they cared. We care!!
    I'm two weeks out (6/9 L4-L5 TLIF/PLIF) and am still in pain (leg/back/incision). I know it will get better over time. I'm not a young chicken either (not really OLD though) so I have to accept reality. :D

I was thankful for all the items that were listed as necessary things to have ready & set-up before surgery. They have made recovery easier. (Must have's stickey).
    Let us know how you are doing. :)))
  • thanks Meyday i will keep you updated
    good luck to you also
  • I am having L4/5 fusion on Thursday, and have spent the past 2 - 3 weeks worrying about the surgery - wondering if it will help or will the pain stay the same, how horrible will the pain be afterward, etc.

I see you are having your surgery on Tuesday, so we are only 2 days apart.

For me, now that I am 5 days away from surgery, I am trying not to think about all that. The decision has been made, and I know it was the right decision.

My philosophy has always been to hope for the best and expect the worst, that way you can only be pleasantly surprised, and never disappointed :)

Good luck on your surgery!

• Having surgery was the best decision I could have made. I am getting stronger and better every day. Will say a prayer for you.
  • Hi Deanna thanks for the comments I hope all goes well
    for you to please let me know how it goes and I will
    do the same
    good luck
  • thanks froggal I will also say a prayer for you also
    and thanks for the support
  • What helped me was getting fit. I had 9 months to cringe over what was coming up. "This thing" is what I called the surgery, unable to say the words. It hung over me like a heavy, black cloud. My GP gave me an anti-anxiety drug, Esipram, which helped. But what helped most was getting fit. I was exercising (walking, running, kayaking, swimming) for 4-5 hours every day prior to surgery and by the time I checked into the hospital, I felt I could tackle anything. I can honestly say I wasn't scared and compared to how I'd been 9 months previously, that's a miracle!

I really do recommend getting fit to anyone facing surgery. I also think it helped with my recovery. Also it felt so good that I can't wait to get fit again.