Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Going for the Dreaded MRI Today

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,662
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I really hate having these done. I stay so nervous in that machine lol. Wish they could find a better way that wouldn't make people so nervous or sick just having test done. (that would be a dream come true)

I have already been told that there will be more surgery, just don't know exactly what and which locations until I get the results of this MRI. I dread another back surgery. It takes so long to recover and for me the last one did not help my pain at all. Actually made it worse, left me with muscle pain and numbness in left leg and right arm.

Tryin to stay positive here, have a new Neurosurgeon and the best PCP anyone could ask for. I refer to them as my DREAM TEAM... lol

Just not wanting to have another surgery, recovery and more pain than I am already in. I am so worried about this that I have not been able to sleep at all. Come to think about it, if I am this nervous about an MRI what the heck condition will I be in before surgery.... CALGON TAKE ME AWAY!

Will be sure to let all of you know what the MRI shows and what the docs say I am in for.

• I hate having the MRI's. Because I am claustrophobic, my doctor suggested a mild setative. Im not a pill person so he schedule me to have an open MRI. It was great!!! The sides where open and my husband was able to be right next to me to hold my hand(he's my rock).He had to wear one of those jackets but he didnt mind. When Im in the machine, I try to imagine that Im on the beach laying in the warm sun or think about my kids. Good luck and try to focus on something that you love.

39 yr. old mother of 5 Children, 20,19,14,14,9
    Lumbar strains: 1995, 1997, 1998

Major injury: 2002, 2 herniated disc w/tears, DDD, Spinal Stenosis, Major nerve damage in both legs.

Treatments included: Celebrex, Bextra, Ralaphin, Flexril, Naproxin, Motrin, Ultram, Steroid injections, Nerve Blocks, Physical Therapy, Aqua Therapy, specific exercise regimen, loss of 70 lbs.

Surgery: May 2009 ALIF of L5-S1 with titanium cage and 4 screws, no bone,Pro-Disc at L4-L5

Current Meds: Vicadin 5mg/500, daily aspirin, calcium supplement, senicot, bone growth stimulator
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    I have had so many and I still hate going to them.
    But they are so necessary in the diagnosising of Spinal Problems.
    But for a bit on the light side, here is some reading

MRIs - Fun
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Which really isn't a bad thing, just a nerve rackin thing for me. I hate these MRI's soooo much. Laying there so long make me hurt even worse, and the noise gets on my last nerve. lol.

Going on Sunday...
  • I hate MRIs, good thing/bad thing I can't have them anymore :D :(

I found out that in order for them to get clear images I had to take valium. No matter how hard I tried to be calm, I could not stay still enough in that stupid tube without the Valium!

With Valium it was no big deal at all :D
  • I'm going in for an MRI on Thursday and I hate them with a passion. My doc gave me three valium so I'm going to take one tomorrow to see how it affects me so I can make sure I'm calm. These things FREAK ME OUT! Just wanted to tell you that your post made me feel better knowing that the valium helps you.

Alwaysachin: Sorry to hijack your thread.
    "Now back to our regularly scheduled program."

• Ask your Dr for a sedative beforehand. It makes it easier and think of your favorite beach laying in the sand and relaxing. Good luck. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN