Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Permanent SCS Surgery Tomorrow.

mcarr36mmcarr36 Posts: 73
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Chronic Pain
I recently posted regarding anyone having a two spinal cord stimulators implanted. It seems difficult to find anyone with this experience. I currently have a SCS for my arm pain and it covers a small amount of my shoulder pain. I am happy to have the SCS. I have had it for a couple of years. My problem has been the ability to get long term relief for my head and neck pain. I have been having injections and RFA every 3 months for a long time and now I am ready to have a new SCS placed to treat my occipital pain. My surgery is tomorrow. I will be home recovering in a neck brace for 6 weeks. I would be happy to discuss my experience, as it relates to spinal cord stimulation, if anyone is interested.

• I have spinal edpidural lipomatosis and have had surgery to clean out the spinal column already. Can't have another one. Am looking at the prospect of an scs in my side/buttock for pain management. Doesn't sound like fun, would be interested in your experience.
  • Does anyone out there have or know anyone with this condition? I know it is rare, especially in my case because I didn't have any of the known predispositions -- steriods and obesity -- I was diagnosed in Spring 2007; had surgery to clean out the fat cells compressing my spine -- was ok for one month and then the pain started coming back. Now it's getting worse. Am on cymbalta and pain killers, now am facing the prospect of a spinal cord stimulator for pain management.

Anyone have any suggestions on alternative treatments?
  • it sounds like hell i hope you get through it all without incident .i myself was unsuitable for a SCS due to too much damage to my spine and i have the wrong type of pain mine is mainly in the lower back and SCS dont tough back ache {more for the leg} and my leg pain is only about 20 percent .so its pain killers only for me .i wish you well and hope that you get the desired effect
  • Best of luck on your upcoming implant. I do hope all goes well and you get relief.
    I had my permanent ANS, SCS implant on the 4th of this month. Mine is in my Lumbar spine...L4 & L5. I am recovering nicely and the stimulator is working great on my savage leg and foot pain. I recharged my battery over the weekend and it made me feel sorta like a wind up doll. Wind me up and I am good to go another week.(LOL)
    I am so very happy with my stimulator. I have my life back!!
    Please keep us updated. It will be interesting to see how 2 stimulators do together and also know how you are doing.
    Sending you a hug... >:D<
    Patsy W
  • i'll be thinking of you tomorrow when youre getting second scs. :-C
    i have been told i'm a candidate for two scs implants. one for lower and one for upper body. would love to talk with you about your experience after your procedure.
    meanwhile all the luck in the world for a more painfree life!!!!

• Hi Melissa,
    My husband and I will definitely keep you in our thoughts tomorrow. Hope you wake up with the ability to make your occipital headaches disappear! (If not right away, soon!) Check in as soon as you feel well enough.

Here's to controlled pain.
    If you GOOGLE ANS EON MINI and click on IMAGES look on page 2 or 3 and u will see an old pick of me when I first had my unit installed...10/08
    I am sure I am not the 1st one in the US to have the DUAL ANS UNIT...I have lead wires that control my back pain and leg pain!! It has been a miracle worker for sure! Not gonna say it has been smooth sailing...but it is amazing I have this unit that can control 2 areas of chronic pain!!!
    I have had a total of 5 back surgeries and am in the process of scheduling #6 to upgrade my inplant (battery) do to it shifting down lower n2 my buttock area...they will inplant me with the ANS EON MINI and possible move the inplant to my stomach and get it out of the bum area all together!!
    I will keep you all posted on what, when and where we decide to move inplant to...keep u posted on all the details of replacing the unit battery!
  • Pete-
    Just read ur post here and felt like I neede to write to ya!! I have an ANS unit that controls, not one, but 2 areas of my chronic pain!! I have one inplant with numerous leads that start at my shoulder blads and snakes down to my buttock area...this allows for a wider range of pain control!!
    I had CHRONIC BACK and LEG PAIN!! I was the first test dummy here in ARKANSAS with this particular unit!! They only use to install units that focused on one area of pain and NOW thye have them with more options to control more than one area at once!!
    My back may look like ZORO got a hold of it but---WHO CARES--when u r able to live a half way decent life!! Good luck to you and GOD BLESS!
  • i will ask ANS if the unit u have is an option for me. did they open up a large area of your back in order to insert it?
    i know you had some trouble last fall but glad youre doing better. thanks much for the info
    best to you
  • I have about 5 - 1 inch incisions from my bra strap area down and about a 2-1/2 inch incision for the inplant to be installed in my left hip area!! Total 6 little slits!!
    They just slit me open in these areas to secure the leads in place...unfortunately--as u probably read...I am having surgery #6 to replace battery within the next couple of months.
    I will keep u posted on when.
    Deffinately ask your doc about the ANS unit with optional leads!! WORKS GREAT!! GOOD LUCK & GOD BLESS!
This discussion has been closed.