Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ADR and foraminotomy at same time?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,662
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, new to the forum but cervicular radiculopathy for last 6 months. Conservative measures have not worked (tho pain has decreased some) but now arm getting weak so surgery is imminent. Probs at C5/6 and c6/7 with herniated disc and bone spurs (C6/C7 only diagnosed recently but c5/c6 = ongoing progression for past few years.)
At first my NS rec'd bilevel fusion. Today he raised possiblity of ADR for C5/C6 and foraminectomy/foraminotomy for C6/7 in same surgery (we had discussed ADR as a possibility before we confirmed c6/7 as problem too).
I have been searching web for a week but have not seen anything about this type of hybrid surgery and success rate. I have not even seen a discussion of fusion at one level and foraminotomy at next level being done at same time (tho certainly have seen bi-level ADR done in Europe). Anyone have experience and input?
Any help appreciated,
Jackie, 44 yrs old

• Hi Jacki,I wish you luck. I do not know of anything that can help you except to say, get in the forum room hang around. keep coming in, keep doing research & hopefully you will get help & answeres you are seeking. Don't be in a hurry. If you do not understand something, wait until you do,so you can make an informed decision. I wish you luck. See you in neck & back surgery chat. Hope you feel better. Welcome to the family.
  • Jackie,

There is a whole ADR website and community at:

Perhaps someone there has experience with what you are talking about.

Good luck!!
  • Thanks for the good wishes and the website tip!
  • So went to the adr site and you can't even search the site without entering visual codes each time!! But after several hours of looking as best I could, no one there has had a similar surgery that I can find. These forums are much more user friendly :)))

Can anyone discuss any type of hybrid including a foraminectomy? I am worried about need for second surgery if I don't just fuse now.

Jackie, age 44
    NS rec'd either fuse C5-7 or ADR at C5/6 and foraminectomy/foraminotomy at C6/7
    Surgery = July 7, 2009
  • After a final myeleogram confirmed that I had a very pinched nerve at C6/7 which in turn confirmed my NS's clinical suspicions that C6/7 was the real culprit he offered me the choice of bilevel fusion (insurance did not approve ADR) or a posterior cervical foraminotomy at just c6/7 which he believed would solve most of the problem and would leave options for ADR at 5/6 at a later date. (sorry for the long sentence)

I opted for the less invasive surgery on 7/13 and had almost instant rsults, the resistance test he did right after surgery actually showed some resistance in my left arm whereas that very morning it had been like limp spaghetti. I am doing very well, with little post op pain and am mostly worried I am doing too much. I am very happy with my surgeon (Dr. Jerry Marlin of Dallas)and will hope that this does the trick though I know it will be about 6 months before I can truly tell while the nerves setlle down. I have had little shadow pains in my shoulder and elbow in the old places, but only occasionally and I assume they are the results of the nerves settling again.

I was not so scared of fusion after reading everyone's posts here on this site so that was good, but I am also glad I had an option.

All the best to everyone