Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Fusion Leg Pain

heidihohheidiho Posts: 17
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey everyone.

I am at 4.5 weeks post ALIF and am really suffering from leg pain/aches. I had VERY mild leg pain before the fusion, and I almost wouldn't have called it pain, more like a sensation. SINCE the fusion, it is much worse and has been the main issue in my recovery. My back is doing really well and I feel the difference but it's hard to get excited about it when I have all this going on with my right leg. I often end up in tears in the evening just from the relentless of it. I take 300 Neurontin three times a day and 20mg oxycontin twice a day. I am also taking Tylenol as I think it helps a bit. I do see my OS in 11 days, but when I mentioned it to him on the phone before, he seemed to dismiss it.....?? I'm so scared that I got rid of one problem, but created another.

I know about nerve pain after surgery, but assumed this was for those who had a major sciatica problem PRE surgery and this was the nerve healing.....

Anyway, if anyone developed this POST anterior fusion, could you let me know so i don't feel quite so lost.

• I am not sure if this will help, but when I initially started to haveback issues I had a lot of discomfort and tightness in back and across hips. Then it went into my legs especially rt leg in what seemed like overnight. The pain I had was tremendous and for the next 18 months or so I had to deal with it daily some days worse then others but I basically told my Dr. to just remove my leg I really could not stand it anymore. I ended up getting into good PT and it helped, much of the discomfort was gone but the rt. leg itself was at about 70 per cent strength wise. I went about another year and the Dr.'s finally said I needed fusion surgery on L4/5. Surgery itself was good, and post surgery I was getting better daily a few minor set backs but overall I felt ok, anyway just recently in last 2-3 months it has all started up again in the rt leg and know my leg strength is down another 20 per cent or so with no reflex in the knee. The one thing I would have to say though is you are still pretty fresh out of surgery and if your Dr. gives ok try to get in good PT program. If they know what they are doing there are ways to reduce the inflamation around the nerves to help ease the pain. A great place to go is the C.H.E.K institute and they have practioneers all over. Good Luck
  • Sorry you are having such a rough time. >:D<
    I was the same as you prior to surgery, with me the main concern was total loss of feeling in my toes and part of my foot. After I had my tlif, I had major numbness in my right leg, but it has since diminished. My surgeon said it was inflammation. You could have the same, and maybe that is why he is being dismissive. When you go in, you should express to him that you would feel much better if you knew the reason behind it, and why he feels it's nothing to worry about. Take it from a pro worrier, knowing what it is and why it's happening is much preferable to ignorance. :/
  • Thanks for the advice.....I do know that overall, I'm doing well.....and if it wasn't for this nerve issue, I'd be thrilled with the outcome so far. You are right, I have to remember how 'fresh' I still am from surgery and just let nature do it's thing. Hopefully I can get some answers out of my surgeon next week. I will just have to be insistent. Not sure when I'll be able to start PT.....I thought at 12 weeks, but I find out next week.