Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Jan MartinJJan Martin Posts: 164
Hi All,
I am a 50 year old female. I had my first pain episode 5 years ago down my left leg. MRI at the time showed slight herniation at L4-L5. PT aggravated the pain. The pain subsided after a few months with only an occaional bout of low back pain. I woke up one morning this January with excrutiating pain shooting down my right leg. Needless to say it scared me. I went to PCP and was given Todardol which resulted in acute stomach pain and no relief. MRI shows large protrusion at L4-L5, moderate protrusion at L5-S1, and lower lumbar facet joint arthopathy. One cortisone injection worked great for about 3 weeks, second one did nothing. I cannot stand for more than 5 minutes, can't walk for more than a couple hundred feet. I can't lie down, sleep is next to impossible: either side or back is unbearable. Sitting in my recliner is really the only way I get any relief. The stabbing pain is in my rear end and front right ankle, aching pain in my right calf and behind my knee, and tingling (more like loud buzzing) feeling has moved from my toes now up into my calf. I limp and have begun to feel like my right foot is dragging. Some days the pain shoots down my leg when I am driving and I have been concerned about safety. Bending over at the waist doesn't bother me either, just standing, walking, and lying down. Is it unusual that I get relief when I sit?

• I had problems laying down and walking also until the 2nd pain Management Dr. did some facet joint injections and more epidurals and have had relief now and also had a change in meds decreasing the lyrica which maade me moan-weird stuff. Now I'm trying cymbalta which seems to be helping the leg and foot pain and tingling. I feel less pain while sitting also with my infrared heat pad on my back. I hope you find another PM Dr that helps you with some nerve pain meds. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Welcome to Spine Health. What kind of suggestions have your docs made? Do they wish you to continue conservative measures or have you even had the chance to consult with a surgeon? I'm not saying rush to surgery, just wondering if you have been evaluated by one as to the condition of your spine and possibility of permanent nerve damage.

I found that when my lower back was flared up, the most comfortable position for me was face down on the floor with ice on my back. Depending on the problem you have, it will dictate what positions are or are not comfortable for you. Sometimes it is pretty crazy hearing some of the positions people need to use.

• Your pain history sounds similar to mine. My sciatica started on my left side. Later, the bulging disc moved over to the right side.

When I sat down, my pain was worse. Perhaps due the locations of the bulging disc (L 5 S1). The best relief from my pain was lying on my back.

My father-in-law also has a bulging disc at L4 L5 and sitting does not bother him. Like you, he gets relief from sitting, but my surgeon and physical therapist both said sitting is really bad for discs.

Consult your doctors about what you can and cannot to do until you heal. Try to avoid bending over too.
  • Thanks for your replies. I saw a neurosurgeon yesterday. The news is not encouraging. He is concerned about possible further damage as I have lost a lot of strength in both legs . I can honestly say I was surprised at the lack of response from my body when he was doing the eval. One option is a discectomy. I am going to get another opinion. I know that I can't continue to teach with this pain. I've got to get some sleep!!!!!!!!!!!