Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Oh My God the pain!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I am so sorry if that freaks someone out, but I am in so much pain. It's like a 12. I have lightening bolts being shot through my right hip and goes through to my foot. I have lost like half the feeling in my foot.

It feels like I am laying on my bolts. And now I am running a fever. Can't get my home health set up until tomorrow. Has anyone else had this happen to them? The Dr's nurse says that he told her theres nothing we can do but up the Ms Contin.

I am in need of some major input, Please help me understand what's going on in my body!

• Your body just went through major trauma, honestly that pain probably is "normal", but not acceptable that you don't have better pain management. Have you checked your temperature? That's important. Are you still on the dilaudid? There is something you can do beside MSContin, they can give you percocet for breakthrough. You need to call your surgeon, even if its at night.
  • I have yet to get my cervical surgery so I have not much experience to judge by but at the following article on this site http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/spinal-fusion/one-four-weeks-after-spine-fusion-surgery it says the following:
    "One of the risks of any surgery is infection. This occurs about 1% of the time. Some people, (e.g., diabetics), are more prone to infections.
    Wound infections usually present at about 10 days after surgery. Some symptoms to look for include:

Fever (101 degrees or higher)

Expanding redness at the incision site

Increasing pain

Change in the amount, appearance or odor of drainage

If these signs develop it is important to contact your surgeon immediately.

If an infection does develop, it is treated with a long course (usually 4-6 weeks) of intravenous antibiotics. Further surgery may or may not be needed. If the infection becomes chronic, the metal hardware inserted during the surgery may need to be removed."

So it's possible you may have an infection and you should definitely try to get to a doctor as soon as possible.

Hope you get some help,
    wishing you a better night

• >:D< ive been following your surgery and couldnt wait for your return to ask some questions im so sorry your having a bad time please get checked out better safe than sorry nip that pain right in the butt get it out youll feel better im waiting to have same thing done you had hope your feeling better tomm renee

• Thanks for the input, this all helps. I think I have UTI. I got a sample sent over to the Dr. I should here something by Wed. I think that's where the fever is coming from.

I'm not freaking as bad now as I was earlier. I took some more pain meds & was able to get up out off the bed to go to the bathroom.

I have never felt nerve pain like that before, it was like a 12. I was in tears. Even now I am laying here and the pain is rough.It is so hard to try and lay on my side. I can't lay on my back it feels like the bolts are trying to come through.

Then I have a knee replacement and my knee keep trying to lock up on me. So this is very painful trying to keep my knee in the right position.

Well I am getting tired so I am going to close for now.So good night everyone & thanks for all you help
  • You mentioned you have a fever, you really need to tell your surgeon ASAP, it could be a sign of infection, so DON'T DELAY! :-C
  • Thats right! The more pillows, the better. I had PLIF L4 L5 & S1 on Feb 17th of this year. It was a struggle when I got home, to say the least. It does get better. I chose not to take all the pain meds. I know that sounds crazy but for me it was easier to deal with the pain while not foggy (or constipated!). Obviously I did take one in the day and one at bedtime but for a break. I bought a 3inch foam memory topper and put it on the sofa bed where I stayed most of the time. It was a Godsend!! I always used (and still do) my grabber. But, like I said...make sure you have pillows in front and back of you. When you are on your back, put them under your knees (especially with your replacement). Also a soft ice pack. Does take the swelling down. I got in and out of bed with (2) canes. I still use them due to residual nerve pain in my left foot. Best of luck...my best piece of advice is to pray for patience!! It does improve daily.

• I am feeling better since raising some of my meds. I was crying to God last night I was hurting so bad. I managed to get up and go to the potty this morning. I am still getting that jerking nerve thing going on. I hope today is better. I am calling home health to see if I can get them to come out and check everything out.

So a prayer for a better Day for everyone who needs it.

Be back Later,
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,863
    If your pain level goes over a 8, thats the time to head over to the Emergency Room.
    When the pain level is that high, you are not capable of doing even simple things.
    In many situations when emergency room doctors examine you and realize the level of pain you are in you would be admitted.
    Staying at home with those pain levels is a very very dangerous thing to do.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Fever following surgery is not something to ignore. You need to see the doc asap. Are you in the states? It really doesn't matter, get to the doc. I don't care what they say on the phone.
  • Also, are you still taking Lyrica? After I got home from surgery, my legs went nuts. My right foot has been numb since surgery, but my legs went spastic, kind of like constant restless leg syndrome. They put me on Lyrica and it really helped. I've just had a flare up (at over six months out) and i swear the Lyrica helps better than the narcotics.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.

• Hi All,

I just wanted to update you all, I have broke my fever and I have figured out how to space my meds so that they are controlling the pain. I still hurt, more when I am trying to get up off the bed or out of a chair. My feet are very swollen and I still don't have the feeling back in my right foot.

I hope that the feeling comes back in that foot or it will end up in worse shape than it was before the surgery. I know that this is going to be a long haul before I get to the end. I will be glad just to get back to using my own potty and to take a shower.

It's funny how we take for granite some of the easiest thing we do in ever day life. I know I have been sitting to long when I thought to myself that I was missing doing housework & laundry. But this has given me time to spend with my kids and we have been working on school worksheets and reading. It's been kinda cool.I am still really sleepy and I get up 2-3 times a night to pee. I always thought it was crazy to drink,drink and drink and then wonder why we need to pee so much.

Well thanks for all the help and info, you all have given me. It is great knowing that there are others out there that have gone through what I am going through. So, have a great night and we will talk again soon.

P.S. I did get put on Lyrica
  • New to this forum. Have spinal lipomatosis which compresses the spinal cord. Know lots about the pain going off the scale. Couldn't walk, sit, stand, lay down for half of 2007. Had fusion and my epidural space cleaned out (fat cells) in June 07. Then they came back within a month --9-07 on - and the pain's been getting worse again. ANother fusion on the S-discs in Jan. 09, no cleaning done of the fat cells. Pain came back harder. Now looking at an SCS and don't know which way to turn.

So, I sympathize,empathize and will take any advice one of you might have prior to my last chance with the SCS. Can't have any more "cleaning" surgeries due to scar tissue. ANyone know anyone else with this rare condition?