Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

OMG went to surgeon today!

Cindyx3CCindyx3 Posts: 144
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I almost had a heart attack when I walked in. There was a man with a big hard collar on sitting with his wife. He did leave with the collar off which was nice to see. The wife told me he fell and had cervical and lower back surgery. The poor thing.

Then another guy is sitting there with his head tilted down. He told me he had surgery last year and has a clicking sound in his neck when he lifts his head. He also can't lift his head. Then the kids mother tells me he's doing much better! I was like are you kidding me??? Anyway, this kid broke his neck and had to have emergency surgery so I calm down a little.

I'm called in with my husband and the doctor is like OK you have surgery in about a week. I'm like yes and I have numbness now on my left side and I want to know what you're exactly going to do. I ask if I'm going to wear a hard collar, and he says NO. So that's good, I guess? He said I won't need one. I told him I'm a nervous wreck and he said I have nothing to worry about. His is doing the C4C5 and C5C6 and that it will take about an hour and half and I'll feel better in a few days. I am told by all that he's an ex cellent surgeon but I'm still scared. He is also putting a new plastic piece out instead of bone to fuse my spine with plates and screws to follow. Has anyone had this kind of fusion??? He told me I'll have a mild sore throat and to calm down because it's not that bad. I have had two surgeries in the last year. Carpal Tunnel and a lumpectopmy. I'm just hoping this is a huge success because I'm tired of being so limited around the house and work due to pain and constantly trying to recover. Any input is welcome!

I was glad that the older gentlemen was able to take the hard collar off and he also seemed happy and they were really a sweet couple but to see that before surgery just had me jumping in my seat and then the kid with a broken neck that clicks now and can not raise his head. Man I am going to need a sedative before I go in next week. Please let me know if you have had this done and how your own recovery was, I am hoping not too bad. I can take pain but I am really eager to feel better and live again.

• im sorry to hear your scared ill be thjnking of you and i will say a prayer for you im so scared also i know how you feel
  • I've had a 3-level ACDF and I understand how scary it is to think about the surgery. First, quit looking at all the people in the waiting room - they're not you LOL. Seriously, though, the surgery really is easier than the anticipation of it. I know that's hard to believe, but it's true.

I had donor bone with off-label BMP and I'm fusing as expected. Still some residual pains/aches, but I consider my surgery a success.

If you're really freaking out (like I was before surgery), ask your surgeon to give you some antianxiety medications, like Xanax. Mine did and it helped.

I had tingling in my right arm, occasional numbness, and extreme muscle pain and weakness in my left arm. All that was gone when I woke up after surgery. It's a great feeling!

Feel free to PM me with questions or if you just want to talk. I've been there and understand exactly how you feel. Hugs to you.

• I ended up with some Xanax before my surgery. It took both Xanax and Ambien to get a nights sleep and they still weren't quality sleeps!

Talk to your doctor about the possibility of something to help you stay calm. I tried everything I could think of and was unsuccessful at it.

if you aren't willing to go there try lots of movies and distraction type things to take your mind off of it. I could not read a book at all, I just could not focus on the story.

Also, stay away from caffeine!

Hope the days go by fast and everything goes well!
  • I read your post and thought, "what is happening on the roads out there?!" On March 21, 2008 (Good Friday) I was stopped at a redlight around 8:30 pm. I was going to get my Easter Ham. I waited until the evening because it was so crowded after work. Big mistake! My life was changed forever that night. I was rear ended by a very drunk 41 year old driver (woman). I had herniations in C5-6 T11-12 and L4-5. To make a long story short, had shoulder surgery in October and a lumbar fusion (L4 L5 & S1) in Feb of this year. I know what you are going thru. Somebodys stupidity have put us here but with the grace of God we will perservere. I wish you best health. What a long road to recovery!
  • Ditto on the changes that one driver makes on the rest of your life.

Mine was just an inattentive and tired driver (from what I know and what he said to me).

I'm a completely different parent for my 7 year old (who was in the accident, but is okay thank heavens!) than I was for my grown boys. The skiing, the hiking, the trips - I haven't been able to resume any of my former activities.
  • You're all so kind and I know I'll get through this. Please keep in touch and let me know how you are all doing. I'll let you know as well.

It sounds like you went through the same thing and I did! I hope you receive more money then I did. My lawyer told me if I broke my pinkie I would have gotten more money. I had a terrible lawyer and I'm just thankful I have insurance. I have lower back issues too but they are not as painful as the cervical. My entire right side get numb and it's not fun. I'm just hoping if they fix the upper half then the lower won't be so bad.

Good Luck to us all! :)