Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 mos postop from ACDF/PCFL - could I handle trip to NYC??

allicat623aallicat623 Posts: 45
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I really need your help on this one folks:

My daughter's dance team is going to be in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade this year. I've been involved with the planning and had planned on attending as a chaperone. We're leaving the Saturday before Thanksgiving and coming back the day after. I'll be doing a lot of walking and I'll have to just rest whenever I can.

Is it realistic for me to think that I can do this if at that point I'll be about 5 mos post-op from a single level ACDF at C5-6 w/plating AND a two-level posterior cervical fusion/laminectomy w/instrumentation at C5-6 and C6-7? (Okay, how do you abbreviate that???)

I know everyone is different and we all heal at different rates, etc. I realize that. But I know there are general milestones.....

I'm thinking this will be good for me...a goal to work towards post-op.

I'm not in the greatest shape now....my surgery is in a week and I'm already taking Vitamin C and protein powder drinks to get my body ready. Maybe too little too late, but I figured better late than never.

Any other advice/words of wisdom????

Thanks again for all your support!!

• Unfortunately, nobody will be able to give you a definitive answer, as everyone's different. What does your doctor say the chances are? That would stink to miss your daughters performance (is that what you would call it?), but of course your health should take priority. When the time comes, if you don't think you can handle it, then don't. Of course, you should be sure your daughter understands it could be a no-go for you.

Just make sure you follow EVERY post-op instruction to the t, give your body a chance to really heal. That will bring your chances of a speedy recovery up greatly!

Good luck! >:D<
  • No def answer is available.
    I would hazard a guess you will be able to "manage" the trip. It may indeed be good for you!

Perhaps you can go on the trip, but not be a chaperon? That would allow you to take breaks as or when needed as the dance team people would not be depending on your help.

That is what I did when I went to Disney World this spring before my SCS surgery. I just went and had a good time. fooey on the chaperon thing!