Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi from new fusion surgery patient :)

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone,

I found a link to this site from a back pain group on Facebook. I recently had a spinal fusion at L4-5 (January 20th) and was trolling through the internet trying to find some information on post operative recovery. Either I am not looking in the right place or there is very little out there!

I am hoping that whilst I move around this site I will find some of the answers I seek! Whilst the pain in my legs is much improved my lower back pain is just as awful as it was before. I currently take Fentanyl 50mcg, Naproxen, Paracetomol and Amitryptilin 50-75mg for my pain and was seriously hoping to reduce and get off of the awful Fantanyl.

So far I am still at the same level of pain meds as before the surgery. I wanted off before I went back to work but not getting very far at the moment. I am down to half pay and work are nagging me about when I am going back. I don't feel anywhere near ready yet. I am a curriculum development teacher for maths and so have to drive around the county a lot and lug all my teaching equipment with me (not great for my back).

I am trying to find out how long a piece of string is? Just joking, I am trying to find out how long it will take until I start to feel better? Seems there are as many answers to that one as the piece of string question. I don't seem to find any answers. I am due to get married next May and am hoping to walk up the aisle not hobble up there.

Anyway, I wanted to say hi. I am going to trawl through this site and see what I can find before my 37 year old mind and body go to mush or the fentanyl sends me to sleep!!

Best wishes
Trask xx

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. glad you stopped by!! =D> take your time and your recovery will go the best!! :D good luck and keep us posted! Jenny :)
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. This is a great place for support and information - I'm glad you found us.

I've included a link below where many people have posted details about their recovery after surgery. Recovery is almost always a long road and you'll find many people who have walked in your shoes.

Take care of yourself and I hope you feel better as the days go by.
  • the great thing is the pain down your legs has improved!!! that's a sure sign surgery took pressure off the spinal nerves.
    I have had a lot of back surgeries. My own experience is that the lower back pain is usually muscular. loosening up and getting in better shape might eliminate that pain. follow your dr.s orders and maybe you can get some phys. therapy to make lower back pain disappear.
    hang in there....pete
  • Thanks for the link Cath. I read your great post, it does seem that many of us are in the same boat, thinking we should be pain free and fixed yesterday!

Thanks to both of you for the hello and welcome.

• Welcome to SH :H It's hard to say when you'll fully recover from this fusion. Some people heal faster than others. My doctors used to tell me to hang on, and that I was just a slow healer.

Have you had a post op MRI? Do you have any new symptoms? It might be that it will take longer than expected for you to feel much better. For now, do what you can and keep up with walking, PT, and your appts.

Is the Fentanyl patches causing you side effects? I was on them for over a year, and I would be happy to answer any questions about it.

Take care and I hope you get better soon.
  • Thanks for the offer of help with the Fentanyl. I am currently withdrawing from the stuff and its tough. I am down from 75 just prior to the surgery to approx 17 with the addition of OxyNorm 10 every 4 hours. Once I get rid of the Fentanyl and the yoyo pain relief it was giving me due to tolerance, then I can work on coming off the OxyNorm.

I was hoping to come off the opiates fairly quickly but I believe it is going to take longer than I thought. Still hanging in there with the physical therapy.
  • hi there - just reading other peoples comments have made me feel better- surgery was last year december2008
    L3/L4 decompression fusion - nerve pain in left leg is still intense - it is depressing but i feel im hanging there- and i believe i'm doing okay -considering that i'm off all pain meds 4 weeks after surgery - i now have to have a nerve block done on L5 to see if that will settle the nerve pain down- i look forward to any feedback that you may have as i dont know anyone that as had this type of surgery

courgage to everyone