Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Third herniation this year

sandy nursessandy nurse Posts: 75
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a microdiscectomy L5 S1 Jan 26th of this year and reherniated at 4 weeks. I had a repeat micro on March 9th. I had immediate relief after the second surgery. I returned to work on April 23rd and the pain returned the next week. I saw my neurosurgeon last week and he ordered another MRI. I had the MRI yesterday and will see the neurosurgeon tomorrow. Has anyone had this happen. I know my family is starting to think I am crazy and if this keeps up I may soon be.

• The same exact thing for me!! I had my first microdiscectomy L5 S1 in Feb after being in pain for 10 months. I was pregnant so there was nothing they could do about it. After first surgery I had relief for a couple months and then about a month ago the pain started again and I had surgery two weeks ago. After having no pain except for incision pain for two weeks the pain has started again today. I feel like I am going to be this way for the rest of my life! Please someone tell us there is hope!
  • I had microdisectomy and they put in a few bolts and connected a stabilizer across the back of the vertebrae to keep the disc of reherniating. To early to tell how this works, it has only been one month.
  • I had Disk/Lami and while they were taking me off the operating room table my disk herniated again. I woke up with numb and painful foot. Three months later I had my second surgery and in one month I had it herniate once more. Then we fused it 3 months after 2nd surgery. Less then 3 months later my surgeon went in for the fourth time in 11 months to remove scar tissue. My back is so much better. I just continue to deal with Neuropathy in my foot and all the peripheral nerves in my leg, ankle and foot. I am having my second surgery on my leg/foot and this time it is for the sensation peripheral nerves. I am hoping after two years, this surgery will take away the pain and bring back feeling. My first nerve surgery brought back function of my foot and toes after two years.
    Just take one step at a time and give yourself healing time.
  • I'm sorry to hear about that. More time off work will be necessary. You may need more stabilization surgery but hopefully you'll know more soon. How was your appointment with Neuro? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • My MRI shows scar tissue completely surrounding the S1 nerve. The pain in my hip and back of my thigh is driving me crazy. the neurosurgeon told me that if he goes back in to remove the scar tissue that it will only make things worse. He is referring me to a doctor who specializes in nerve damage. For the time being he has put me on Lyrica and a TENS unit. The Lyrica is like taking an appetite stimulate and makes me giddy, dizzy, loopy and everything else you would feel if you get drunk. The TENS unit is wonderful. If the pain increases, I just turn up the TENS and the shock I get makes me not notice the pain in my hip and leg. Does anyone know of a procedure that will help with scar tissue?
  • Hi,
    I had the same thing happen to me and my surgeon and I decided to go in anyhow. My MRI showed a piece of something at the S1 which the radiologist said was a piece of disk material. He never found it but found my L5 and S1 nerves were scarred together awkwardly and when I healed I had no more pain in my hip. I still had the foot pain though. I am also on Lyrica and I have gained so much weight and I eat less then when I started it. The TENS unit helped me too. This removal of my scar tissue was my 4th back surgery in 11 months. I am so grateful that my surgeon agreed to go in that last time.
    I hope you find some help.
  • I had ACDF at C5/C6 in February of this year. Less than three months later I began having problems again, this time with a lower level. I have burning in my neck, back/shoulder and pains in my hands.

So, no, you are not crazy. If you have DDD, then it's not surprising that another disc would fail. It is very disappointing, though. I did not expect to have problems again so soon after my ACDF.