Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just had surgery Monday, need support as I am in a lot of pain

LumbarLynneLLumbarLynne Posts: 67
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I went in early Monday to have L5/S1 fused. The n-surg did 2 2-3 inch cuts in my back. Took out the facet there and used it as a bone graft into a cage and put rods and screws in. The first day was a complete blur - no idea what really happened that day. They tried to transition me to oral meds immediately which I think is a bad idea. I was taking high doses of percocet on an empty stomach and ended up with a lot of vomiting. That night I didn't get much pain control because they shut me off from the oral meds since I was sick. The nurses did not help me and I had to get up on my own every 1.5 hours to use the bathroom by myself. I had to ask for pain meds and basically keep track of the timing on my own and get crap from the nurses about taking too much. It was miserable. I knew then that I had to head home if I was going to get any care at all, so I went home by noon the day after the surgery. Getting in and out of chairs and beds is terrible. Can only sleep for about 1 hour at a time. Walking is tolerable but then I get tired. Ice has been my friend. Was it this hard for everyone 2 days out? Ugghh... just hate all this pain and need to get some support from someone who has been here.

• wow they did surgery then it seems they neglected you.
    do you have help at home? i was one week in the hospital after fusion.
    what do you take for pain meds?
    Pain will be there for a while but it sounds like you're doing as well or better than most.
  • OMG, you poor thing! I only had one level done and was in hospital for 5 nights and on a morphine pump for 3-4 days!!! (Can't really remember!) My nurses were totally focused on my pain management. You need pain control to help you heal and rehab. I hope you have some help at home....you are at a very fragile time in your recovery and need to be taken care of. Can you see your family doctor for help?? Wish I could be of more help.......You need an advocate! Good luck and post often.....we are all here to help.

• It is so awful that your post care was terrible at the hospital. I'm grateful the surgical hospital I stayed at was on top of caring for me, and my older daughter spent the night (first night) and I had the "happy button-morphine" that I could push every 10 minutes - to get through. The second day I was given percocet along with less of the pain pump.
    It's now 15 days post-op, and I am still having pain, but it is different than before surgery. I'm on muscle relaxants and percocet.
    My first follow-up with the doctor is today and x-ray.
    So -- the pain you are in is what I experienced. It got better, within a few days, where oral meds take care of it.

6/9 TLIF L4/L5
  • Only one way to put it-Get rid of that Dr.! He should have given the nurses very explicit instructions to give you the necessary medications to stop your pain-be it an auto pump or one that you could push the button whenever you needed relief which is like every ten minutes or so. They should also have given you a bedpan so you wouldn't have had to get out of bed so often or helped take you to the bathroom each and every time! His lack of instructions that made you hurt so much was totally uncalled for and a letter to the hospital to that affect should be sent as soon as you can find another Doctor! Giving you the pain medication to relieve you of pain for a day or two is not going to get you "hooked" on pills and the nurses should know that and should not have spoken rude to you for asking for the relief you should have been given. Both he and the nurses should have known better than to give you pain meds on an empty stomach-they should have been liquid in your I.V. I know how you are hurting, but I would call him (unitl you can get another Dr.) constantly to get the necessary pain meds until you have a new Dr. and you and he decide on a pain medication schedule. It will get better, but there is no reason for you to suffer like you are doing. Hang in there and GOOD LUCK, you need some. Jim