Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My Fusion Story

RickCRRickC Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,

Long time reader of the forum and my first time posting.

On March 23, 2009 I had a 270-degree fusion with anterior lumbar interbody fusion and minimally invasive, percutaneous posterior instrumentation on my S1-L5 & L5-L4. This was for DDD. The surgery took about 6 hours. I stayed in the hospital fours nights and was released on the fifth day.

I stayed home and started driving my car four weeks out. On May 18th I started back to work on a half-day schedule for four weeks. I'm a manager of an accounting department at a large financial institution, so it's a desk job. I began full-time days on June 15th.

The surgery went fine and the results have been what I expected. The left leg numbness and "drop-foot" I was experiencing are gone. I can now walk without pain or numbness and it's GREAT! Also, the back pain I had at my left lower back is also gone. I believe that was the site where the nerve was being compressed.

As to surgery negatives, well, I still can't sit too long, an hour or so, and then I need to get up and walk. The posterior surgery site with the instrumentation is the area where the soreness is. That will take some time to heal and I was expecting it. My surgeon told me before surgery that this would be an 8-12 month commitment for this procedure; from surgery to full healing and I shouldn't over-do-it. I'm not. I take a Norco once or twice a day for this pain and that does take the edge off.

The only other thing I've noticed is some tingeling in my left foot but nothing that stays too long; just comes and goes. I suspect my nerves are still sorting themselves out since the ALIF does caues a bit of disruption inside your body.

I saw my surgeon, who is a real pro, on Monday and we looked at my xrays. Everything looks good and you can see fusion starting at the S1-L5 and L5-L4 areas. On the xray the area is "cloudy" showing that bone material is growing.

Overall, I believe I have had a successful surgery. Sorry for the long post, although if you have any questions please let me know.

• im so glad your surgery was good and good news is what i want to hear i am going in in july and i am so scared but hearing storys like this makes it betterggod luck and happy healing rebel renee <:P
  • Thanks for sharing your story! It gives us all hope that things will go well for us too!!

I'm scheduled for an ACDF w/plating at C5-6, as well as a posterior fusion/laminectomy plus instrumentation at C5-6 and C6-7 next Tuesday. I'm concerned about the posterior surgery most of all!!

You give me hope!!

Thanks so much!!
  • It is always hear positive results and yours does sound very positive. I am hoping for similar results when I go for my surgery in 5 weeks! Mine is a bit more invasive but I stll hope for the same results.

Keep posting with your improvements as it gives people like me hope that we will be OK.
  • So happy you have had a successful surgery and recovery! <:P And thanks so much for sharing that success, it will help many people see it's not all gloom and doom!

Hats off to you, and hope to read more posts about your continues success!

>:D< :-C
  • Thanks for the comments! I'm glad that my story may give others some positives about this type of surgery.

I hope I didn't make it sound too simple and easy - there were some days that I do not want to relive ( like the first bowel movement after being home a few days......ouch!!). And the days in the hospital were not fun - I bunked with two other guys. Not the best place to get some good rest.

Although, regaining the ability to walk a mile or two daily without pain/numbness is fantastic! Well worth the price of admission to me!