Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

i just broke my c6 need advice

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
i just broke c6 in my neck and need advice from someone whose been through it this is my first time braking a bone..my horse thru me off in the arena and i landed on my neck. it didnt hurt but i felt like i shouldnt get up and i had to get rushed to the hospital. i was shocked to here i had fractured c6 in my neck this happened on the 13th of this month i go to the nuerologist on the 30th which is only 6 days away and im pretty nervous and a little scared right now they have me in a miami brace i was just wondering whats going to have to get done and i was wanting to know info from someone whose been through it so maybe i wont be as scared or nervous plzz let me know

• Hi and welcome! So sorry for what you've been through!
    I read that and was like "omg, that's happened to me!" I've been thrown by a horse twice, once in my childhood riding double on my sisters horse, actually had to roll over to avoid being stomped on by him as well, and once when I was a teen, my horse did NOT want to go into that ravine I was running him hell bent for leather toward, ended up walking home with that one. =))

But I digress. I'm not a doctor and can't really say what will happen in your case, but many people (like me, broke my back as an 8 year old!) live with it for a long time before anything even starts to cause major problems, some never have to do anything.

I imagine you will get a neurological assessment, many Xrays, and an MRI, possibly a CT/Myelogram. After that, your doctor will be able to tell what needs to be done.

As for now, don't despair. Unless you start to have pain or numbness, take it easy, and know your doctors will take care of you! :)

• since my MRI said I had a fracture, a fracture can be repaired using a type of cement or screws and rods and probably several other ways so that you won't be impaired from it hopefully. It turned out for me, the surgeon said he didn't believe that I had a fracture and just did a fusion on C5/6 where they did a three inch incision horizontal on my neck in a crease and removed the disc and put in some donor bone, screws, and a plate. I am a week postop.

As soon as you know where the fracture is and that your spinal cord is not in danger where you could become paralyzed, then the repair will be good. I hope you have good results and find out something soon. The waiting can be horrible.