Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

wierd popping/bone rubbing after L5/S1 fusion

debbee77ddebbee77 Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi everyone,

i am new here; had PLIF L5/S1 fusion with rods/screws, bone graft and BMP on 3/11/09.

i am experiencing this popping/bone rubbing feeling and was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

Can anyone tell me what this is?

I would greatly appreciate any input on this at all.

thanks,

debbee : )
advertisement

Comments

• WELP---U r not alone!! Soon after my fusion L4-5,S1...I noticed this popping/rubbing feeling at the top of my rods...I literally felt like it was a guitar string snagging on the rod then popping loose??!!
    It is an annoying feeling and at times can be a little painful for me. It has been 2 years since my fusion and I have to say I have not experienced that feeling in a while.
    My Doc basically related to my body adjusting to the new hardware in my back...made sense, but...still was very uncomfortable.
    My advice keep a log on when it happens, what u were doing, and what makes it worse or painful.
    Then discuss this w/ Doc and he may can help you with this annoying problem!! GOOD LUCK & GOD BLESS!!
  • my fusion was 2-24 of this year and I have a lot
    of the popping and noises I can actually hear and feel. It always happens at physical therapy and
    usually it feels good to me, like things are loose,
    in a good way. My therapist says that is normal
    at least in my case.
  • I get that in my low back as well. It's not quite a popping feeling just a rubbing sensation. Bone on bone. It isn't painful in my case, but I do get a quick, fleeting nauseated feeling that passes in about 3 or 4 seconds.

Generally this happens if I am standing up (for any length of time - short or long) and will rub if I twist my spine from the hips.

Let me know what you find out if you speak with your doctor, k?

Jeaux
  • Mine is more if a crack/snap that occurs with even the slightest twist (like when driving and I look behind me). I am always freaked that "OK I just undid a strand of fusing bone" but who knows.
  • thank you all for your input....

i guess its reassuring to know that i am not alone. i just keep focus on the positive results and believe the rest of the pain will go away.

i also have pain at l5/s1 with nerve pain down my right leg and under my right foot...this is causing my right foot to cramp up...

i hope this is not permanent...

anyone have

• I can feel a similar sensation -- six months after my posterior instrumentation from L4-L5-S1. Occasionally it happens when I'm lying down following long periods of sitting or standing. It feels like something hard in my lower back. I asked my surgeon about it just yesterday and he said it was most likely related to the bone fusion taking place (and not the instrumentation per se). But who knows. I feel it pretty much where the screws were drilled into the sacrum.
    My surgeon said not to worry about it. It's more of a nuisance, an odd sensation, than something really painful.
    Good luck with your recovery!
advertisement