Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Vitamin D Deficiency

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Chronic Pain
Has anyone been tested for this? I've begun wondering if it exacerbates my chronic muscle pain recently. I haven't yet been tested for it, but I just bought Vitamin D supplements in addition to my normal multivitamin intake.

I assume I don't have much of it because I work the overnight shift, and sleep during the day. Getting much sun isn't a possibility and I have noticed when I do, my aches and pains are reduced some. Today being in the sun and taking the supplement, I feel a bit better to be honest.

If anyone knows the recommended dose for a day, I'd like to know. Obviously a dietary aide or doctor might be the best consult but you never know.

• The recommended daily intake for vitamin D for adults ranges from 200 IU to 600 IU. There is, however, currently a lot of talk in the nutrition and medical community about possibly increasing these numbers. Vitamin D deficiency can exacerbate chronic pain, so there is a link there. Just be aware that Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin and is also the most common vitamin toxicity seen, so just make sure you don't over do it on the supplements.
  • Thanks for the advice, I've read though that if you're deficient you should go over the 100% limit. I did today by a bit and I feel better. I won't overdo it and I'll consult with my doctor for sure.

My main issue seems to be muscles and tendons being far, far too tight and knotted up. If this is part of the reason I may finally have an answer.
  • You might want to look into taking magnesium, too. It helps with muscle cramping.

Many people have a Vit. D deficiency after back surgery--I have no idea why, but it seems fairly common...and most are given at least 1000 IU.

Be sure to check it out with your medical provider.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I was diagnosed as being vit d deficient and my doctor prescribed 50,000 IU daily for one week and then 50,000 IU twice weekly for four more weeks. I still have one week to go. I don't know if it'll help but I hope so. I'd ask the doctor. I'm beginning to think mine prescribed too high a dose from what I've read.
    Good Luck
  • I was tested by my endocrinologist and found to be severely deficient. I was even below the low. He prescribed the 50,000 IU twice weekly and after 3 months I am at the low end of acceptable. I see him in six months and am to continue this dosage. I honestly am feeling better on it. I don't know what level he will put me on for maintenance when I reach an acceptable level. Before this I have always taken 1,000 IU a day with a calcium/magnesium supplement. I am wondering if all my surgeries had an effect on my level?
    If you think it has helped you I definitely would be tested.
  • Make sure you're supplementing with Vitamin D3 Cholecalciferol, not Vitamin D2 Ergocalciferol. They're both labeled as "Vitamin D" by supplement producers, but they're different substances.
  • I did not see this thread and commented tonight on one on Vitamin D that was started three months ago. It has some interesting info in it and I encourage you to look it up in this same Chronic Pain forum.
This discussion has been closed.