Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pre-Surgery Anxiety

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Having a C7-T1 ACDF with bone graft and hardware on Monday June29th. Possible C6-7 fusion also. Doing the same as others here, worrying while compuslively searching everywhere online for reassurance. Already had 3 posterior laminectomy-diskectomy surgeries at L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1 and C6-7. Now the ACDF. The shoulder pain and arm zaps are really bad, but there's no avoiding this pre-op terror. Thinking about the hardware behind my adam's apple and the hip incision eliminates any chance of relaxation or sleep. I'm pacing the house, wishing I'd waited, though I know it's got to happen. Lots of pain meds may be screwing up my mind. This is terrible.

• Hang in there - ACDF surgery is easier than the anticipation of it. Most people who've had this surgery will say the same thing.

I had donor bone, so I didn't have the hip pain that comes with an autograft. Most likely, you won't even notice the hardware that's in your neck and ROM isn't usually too bad either.

I'm sorry you're so scared about it and I know EXACTLY how you feel. Before my surgery, I'd never been treated in a hospital before and was simply terrified. People here helped me to feel better, but you realize that it's really not awful once you've had it done.

Hang in there and try not to get too worked up. If you're having severe anxiety like I did (and it sounds like you are), talk to your surgeon - mine gave me some Xanax to get through the weeks leading up to surgery. That might help you, too.

• I agree with Cath, talk to your surgeon and tell him you are going crazy with worry, hopefully he will give you something to calm you.

Other than that, you might try laying in bed with some headphones on and listen to your favorite band or podcast.. comedy is a great way to lose yourself for awhile as well, if you have any comedy cd's or movies. :))( Or, just do what you love best, as you know yourself better than anyone what you can lose yourself in! :$

Before you know it, you'll be waking up in recovery wondering why the heck you were so worried in the first place.

Take care, and keep us posted!

• Some good advice there. I too was very anxious about my surgery, it was the first surgery I'd ever had and it was a big one. My dr. prescribed Esipram and it did the trick, I calmed down and the 9 month wait till surgery was much easier for it.

I spent my time getting as fit as I possibly could and I really would recommend that because being fit makes you think you can handle anything.

Good luck, and I hope your surgery is a great success!
  • I had the acdf c7-t1 on 10/21/2009 and I am now ten days post op. I feel no more electric shock zapping down my arm and everything seems to be going well, I have the titanium plate with the four screws and I had the bone dowel taken from my pelvic bone. I am wearing the philadelphia collar 24/7 except for showering (which you cant do for 5 days after the surgery)That site where the bone was taken hurt the worst and still hurts a bit and coughing during the first week was painful and worrisome, but all is doing pretty well here. I have clicking sounds at the site but I read here that it is fine as long as there is no pain. I also had the popping experience from opening the oven door .

For a full history, read my reply on the other posting you started.

Please PM me with any questions

Its nice to get any reply when you are sitting at home doing nothing.