Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

A Wonderful Doctor...

patwhite101ppatwhite101 Posts: 1,213
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi Everyone....
As most of you know on the 4th of this month(June) I had my ANS, SCS permanent implant. I am doing great and recovering nicely. I am still a bit weak and do tire easily but am improving every day.
The stimulator is working great and coverage is very good.
It has reduced my leg pain by 100% and the pain in my feet by 60%. Isn't that wonderful? I am so happy with it. I can accidently brush against something with my legs and I no longer scream and jump with the sudden pain!!
I still have a lot of foot pain even with the reduction. The pain is in the soles and sides of my feet and because of this pain I still must take pain meds but at a much lower dose than I was on which brings me to why I am posting this.
My Pain Doctor is about 50 miles from whare I live so he wrote a note to my primary Doctor here in this small toewn whare I live asking hem to go ahead and write me a scrip for 15mg of Oxycodone taken every 6 hours.
When I needed a refill my reg. Doctor was out of town and would be for several days. The Clinic I go to made an appointment with one of the other Doctors at the Clinic that I do not know. I was very nervous about seeing a stranger about this kind of pain meds as i am sure all of you understand. But it would be several more days before my Doctor would return and I was out of meds. I was sure he would turn me down and say to wait until my Doctor returned.
He turned out to be the kindest most understanding Doctor i have seen since my ordeal started!!
After talking to me and going over my medical history and checking the looooong list of meds I had been on he said "He could clearly see I needed this pain meds and although he does not like writing a script that i had a legit reason for taking it"!! He did not mind writing the script for me!!
Why can't all Doctors be like this man when it comes to pain meds?? Having my medical history in front of hem helped make up his mind and he could also see from the list of meds that I was not running from Doctor to Doctor.
He was soooo understanding I had to struggle to keep from weeping.
It does prove there are still understanding Doctors out there and you may find one by accident like i did. Never ever give up hope.
Hugssssssssssss >:D<
Patsy W

• That is wonderful! Thanks for sharing with us!

• there's plenty of good dr.s out there. i'll bet percentage wise there are more good dr.s than good patients!!
    PATSY SO GOOD you are doing better....thinking of you
    pete O:) O:) O:)
  • First, I'm so, so glad that you've gotten such significant relief with the SCS implant. You must be beside yourself with joy being able to actually get out there and live life again.

Second, what a doc! If only everyone could be so lucky. As you know, there are a lot of people who have problems with getting pain med scripts and you've found one of those gems that really do exist out there.

I'm so happy that things are finally going your way. You deserve all the relief and help you can get and it seems like you're finally on the paved road instead of the rocky one.

• so much for the update.

i've read many of your posts and your perspective has truly helped mine.

• Thanks for the comment.
    You are correct Cath....I am so lucky to have found this very understanding Doctor. He also said that he was not going to drag me into his office every month for refills because he knew it was hard on me. All I do is call hem when I need a refill!!
    With my other Doctor I had to go to his office and then he started making me bring in my meds to show what I had to hem every month!! Such an ordeal for me!! Then if I did not bring the bottle back when I needed a refill he would refuse to write a script. I do not like to carry that kind of meds around with me and I told hem so. What if I lost them??
    I am so very happy not to have endure the savage pain any longer!! I still have the foot pain but it is not as bad as it was and low doses of 15mg Oxycodone takes care of it. As for the constant tingling...I forget about it. It has become a part of me now. It's my "new normal".LOL
    Sending everyone a hug.... >:D<
    Patsy W
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm glad you're doing so well. It so nice to hear that the doctor treated you so well! Hope you continue doing great!

• So, so happy for you! I can just imagine the huge smile on your face now. All the things we take for granted when we're not in pain.....now, I know every day is just precious to you.

I have to share that I went to a new doctor this past week, an endocrinologist, for other health issues I'm having in tandem with the sciatica. My appointment was at 11:00 and, as usual, I wasn't put in the treatment room until almost noon. No problem, I brought a book with me to read. Well, this doctor came in to see me, apologized for the delay, chatted me up about my life and where I was from and then got down to actually listening to me about my health issues. I, like you, was almost in tears when I left his office because it had been so long since I had been to a doctor who I felt was caring and actually cared about what I had to say. I go back this coming week for some test results and feel postitive that if my issues are in his realm of knowledge that he will fix the problem.

Sending a big hug >:D< you way.

Take care,

• Thanks for the comment.
    The Doctor said I would not believe the people who came in with every excuse just to get the meds I was taking.
    He also said I had been doing everything right.....I had the note from my pain Doctor....I had not been going from Doctor to Doctor getting pain meds and I was not getting my pain meds early. And my records showed I had a legitimant reason for taking what i was taking...Oxycodone and it was with my pain Doctors approval.
    My regular doctor is very different. He treats me like a druggie and the last time I saw hem he refused to write a script for the Oxycodone although he was the one who started me on them for my chronic pain!! Go figure!!
    Yes Pete I am getting better every day and doing more also. I am so very happy with my stimulatir. It has given me my life back!! Everyone who sees me is amazed at the change in me. Pain is gone from my feet and I walk like a normal person again. Life is good!! Yippeeeeeee
    Patsy W
  • Hi Judy.....Luv your Westie!! I have a little Scnauzhner, my little rescue dog, that I adore and she adores me. She will have nothing to do with anyone except me.
    Boy does it make a difference when you find an understanding Doctor, one that really cares. This Doctor understood what us chronic pain sufferes goes through. He was explaining to the student how it ruins our lives and all I could do was look at the floor and nod coz I did not want them to see the tears in my eyes.
    Debbie....Thak you....it's wonderful not to feel the savage pain. I am soooooo happy with the stinulator!! It has changed my life.
    Patsy W
  • In light of recent discussions "4 spinal surgeries & now looking at SCS"

Was wondering if you could share how long before your SCS started to become ineffective in fighting your pain.

Do you feel it was truly helping or was it possibly a placebo effect initially helping you out?

How long after implant before you had it removed?

Do you feel that your experience with the SCS better prepared you for your life with a pain pump?

Do you feel getting the SCS was a wasted step in the journey towards your current pain management?

With more and more people showing up with concerns over whether an SCS is something to consider, I am hoping you will share your experience so others can understand and be a bit more informed prior to making their decision.

• That he did that in front of a student is even better because he is in essence teaching that person to treat people with compassion. If they treat you poorly in front of a student, they are giving that student permission to carry that on with their patients. So now there will be another doctor out there who hopefully will be caring and compassionate with chronic pain patients. Good for you! And I know most of us follow the rules which is important too because it probably takes about 10 of us for every 1 abuser to get doctors with an attitude that everyone is a criminal to change his/her mind. Thats generally how it works, 10:1. Just like for every 1 person that complains about a business, it takes 10 complimentary people to undo the damage.
This discussion has been closed.